New Scanner - What To Get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if I were to get a new scanner what should I get?
Hopefully fairly straight forward to use, and not a huge price!
Either a dedicated unit or something that runs on a tablet or laptop?

The vehicles will be late '90's trucks.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Define "New".

I used an ancient Snap-On MTG2500 "Red Brick" scan tool for ~20 years, (purchased used on eBay) until I spilled gasoline on it a few months ago. It's got problems now. I had wanted to upgrade for a couple of years, but couldn't justify spending money when what I had did pretty-much everything I needed. Once I damaged the '2500, though, I new the time was right for a newer tool.

When I was spending MY money, I bought a "new...to me" Snap-On Solus Pro, used, on eBay. It's got 8.2 software, so it works on Domestic and Asian going back as far as 1980 1/2 for GM, and as new as 2007. Does NOT have the European software activated. The tool was actually made in 2008; hence the 2nd Quarter of '08 software, so it's more than a dozen years old at this point.

I got the tool body, main cable, OBD-2 connector and Personality Keys, a bunch of OBD-1 connectors (mainly Asian, but I already had most of the domestic OBD-1 adapters) a rechargeable battery that wasn't totally shot, a charger, some power cords, and a big suitcase to carry it all in.

$350 shipped to my door. There are similar tools at similar prices on eBay now--although there's more availability (with newer software, and more included "accessories") in the $500--$800 range. Perhaps local pawn shops, or Craigslist, or whatever also has scan tools available. Get a tool that has software new enough (or old enough) for the vehicles you're going to use it on. And if you're dealing with OBD-1, you'll need the various special connectors--every manufacturer has at least one, and often more than one. Snap-On has four for GM prior to '96, that I know of.

Snap-On has already ended support for the Solus and Solus Pro, rumor has it that support for the Solus Ultra ends at the end of this year sometime. Solus Edge and the current version Solus Legend are still supported with software updates. There are no available software updates for Solus or Solus Pro, no repairs...Snappy doesn't want to even talk about them.

I keep threatening to post a thread detailing the capabilities of a "Professional-grade" scan tool. Had one for the older, Snap-On "Red Brick" MT/MTG2500, but not for the Solus Pro.

Suffice to say "for now" that a professional-grade scan tool talks to every computer on the vehicle, which may include engine, ABS, Air bags, Instrument cluster, Body computer, etc. There is also "Bi-directional Control" where the scan tool can command the computer to perform various functions. This is dependent on the scan tool software AND the vehicle computer(s)--sweep the instrument cluster gauges from bottom of scale to top of scale, turn on the instrument cluster lights, cause the idle speed to increase in 50-rpm increments to about 1200 rpm, force the AIR system to pump "upstream" or "downstream" on command...and dozens of other tests. Of course, you can read codes, view data for every sensor, see up to four graphs of sensor voltage over time, and save information to memory if you buy a memory card. Snappy has "free" software that allows you to view the saved data on a regular PC.

The one disappointment I have with my 8.2 software is that although I can do an ABS-module "automated bleed" on my '03 Trailblazer; I can't do an ABS automated bleed on my '97 K2500. This is fixed in the Snap-On scan tool software a couple years later.

Last edited: