New Power Steering Pump Brands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
My 96 Chevy K1500 needs a new power steering pump. Flushed the fluid and it's still making a bad whine noise when turning, makes noise at idle as well. So on RockAuto they have Cardone, BBB, and Edelmann (I listed the brands from lowest price to highest price). I've read some reviews on the Cardone one saying they lost power steering within a few months or a couple years, which is not something I want to replace often. Can't find any reviews on the BBB or Edelmann ones. Since the Edelmann one is more expensive, I would hope it would be better quality? From the pictures, it does look like it's better quality. Has anyone had either of these power steering pumps?

Edit: I think the Edelmann one might be for Hydroboost models, which my 96 doesn't have...

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Ehhh, maybe these Saginaw style pumps are different but I tried an A/C Delco pump for an early 90's Ford truck and it was just as noisy as the pump it was to replace. The replacement they sent was no better. My solution was to pull one from a Ford Taurus at a treasure yard and swap the fittings over. That did it. I'd try the same thing with my GM trucks if I had to, given my experience with "new" pumps.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just put in the Edelmann a couple weeks ago. Build quality seems good, but I'm no connoisseur. Its nice and quiet so far and I like the fact that they send you a test report with the pump indicating they do a little more than just drop ship from China. I actually had a go at rebuilding the OEM pump i pulled. It was a learning experience and not too bad a job actually.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 88 has always been harder to turn to the left than the right with 2 different pumps. Is yours (or anyone else's) even both ways?
If even, that's the one I'd want:33:

No difference R to L that I notice. Steering was almost too tight (wouldn't return without a nudge) for the first two weeks, but everything broke in nicely now. I did replace the gear with a RedHead and new lines at the same time, so everything is shiny.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I just put in the Edelmann a couple weeks ago. Build quality seems good, but I'm no connoisseur. Its nice and quiet so far and I like the fact that they send you a test report with the pump indicating they do a little more than just drop ship from China. I actually had a go at rebuilding the OEM pump i pulled. It was a learning experience and not too bad a job actually.
Sounds like that's one I'll get. Did you get the one I linked or is there a different part number to the one that you got?

Yk95

Reaction score
Hi I’m looking for a new pump as well for my 95 Yukon - any update on how the Edelmann worked?