New outside mirrors?

Discussion in 'Paint / Body / Detailing' started by 94SL, Jun 15, 2019.

1. 94SL

94SL I'm Awesome

Was thinking about replacing my beat-up original outside mirrors. After seeing the condition & price of used mirrors at the salvage yards near me, decided that is not the way to go. LMC has mirrors at a decent price, wondering about the quality. Anyone here have comments on them?

Any other places to check out for stock looking replacement mirrors?

2. 95C1500

95C1500 ┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐

Rockauto! TYC replacements for $25 each. The only thing I'll say is my driver side mirror glass shakes a lot. So much so that it's basically unusable. Passenger side is perfectly fine though.

3. Frank Compagnon

Frank Compagnon Newbie

I installed a pair of dodge ram mirrors on my 88 GMC dually. Better than the GM aftermarket mirror options that are available.

IMG_5941.jpg IMG_5940.jpg IMG_5942.jpg IMG_5941.jpg IMG_5941.jpg IMG_5940.jpg IMG_5942.jpg IMG_5941.jpg IMG_5940.jpg IMG_5942.jpg

4. 94SL

94SL I'm Awesome

These are the type of Mirror I have, not my truck, as I don't have a good pic of my truck showing the mirrors. We used to hear them called "elephant ear" mirrors when they first came out in the late 70's. I am thinking I would go back with the same type, either the same black plastic or chrome. I don't really want to pull my door panels and risk damaging them so part of my thinking for not going with a different style mirror. Did see a 90's era Dodge truck with same style chrome that looked nice, thought about getting them but was a very hot day and didn't want to remove them to maybe find they wouldn't fit without having to mod something.

mirror (2).jpg

5. df2x4

df2x4 Domestics only.

GM still produces those style mirrors. Stainless part numbers are 19177488 for the driver's side and 19177487 for the passenger side. Painted part numbers are 19177486 for the driver's side and 19177485 for the passenger side. Stainless are about $105 per side, painted are about $120 per side. You may already know all this but I decided to look them up out of curiosity.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-...l-v8-gas-engine/body-cat/outside-mirrors-scat

sixteenacrewood likes this.
  6. 94SL

94SL I'm Awesome

Df2x4, didn't know that, thanks for sharing the links. Some pricey parts though.

7. Frank Compagnon

Frank Compagnon Newbie

Someone told me they are called the Flag Style Mirrors and I believe that the Dodge, same style, can be had in a power mirror.

8. 98chevy2500SS

98chevy2500SS Bowtie 'Til I Die

@Frank Compagnon is right about Dodge having power Chrome mirrors. I wished Chevy made a power mirror version of the stainless Dumbo mirrors (though an aftermarket company did many years ago, I saw @88GMCtruck had a set a long time ago, super hard to find).

9. 94SL

94SL I'm Awesome

Thanks all for your responses.

Maybe the next time I'm at a you-pull-it yard and can find a Dodge and a GM with these mirrors, I will try to physically swap them and see if they fit and look right. Could be some subtle variations that would either keep them from working right or looking right. Like diameter of the arm, or the angle of vertical to horizontal on the arm.

I don't really need a power version, but if I find them at a good price wouldn't turn them down.

10. ShadowRejects

ShadowRejects I drank the Kingpin koolaid

I got mine on ebay, then again mine are the NBS style tow meers. Ebay tends to have the cheapest prices IMO. Somtimes amazon. I've never really got into the LMC truck stuff. Just seemed overpriced imo.