New Oil Leak at Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get AC Delco hoses. I've had Dorman and AC, and AC are better.

I agree. But...

Simply replacing the hose sections on the existing lines wouldn't be a bear...

- remove them from the vehicle,
- take note of the "clocking" of the fittings first (as this will be needed for reassambly),
- cut off the crimped collars,
- remove old hose,
- replace with new, suitable hose,
- (re)establish the clocking on the fittings and then finally...
- affix the ends, but that's where I draw a blank.

What's the better way, if there is a way, to re-affix new hose to the old fittings?

Somehow, constant torque clamps, even two per fitting, don't seem appropriate.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the better way, if there is a way, to re-affix new hose to the old fittings?

Somehow, constant torque clamps, even two per fitting, don't seem appropriate.
The hose used will determine what sort of clamping method is appropriate.

Best to talk to the hose supplier--which may be the local hydraulic-hose shop. Around here, that's the Advance Auto store, and to a much-lesser extent, NAPA.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't notice any new oil leakage, so maybe it's just a slow leak. Is there any harm in just monitoring it closely

Any time there's an unintended engine oil leak, I get nervous.

You do you.

Also, I just remembered that I had to change the upper radiator hose last summer because it somehow got dislodged and was coming into contact with the fan. Perhaps some of the staining you all noticed was from that?

That was my impression when I looked at your original picture, i.e., the "orange" was some sort of residue from coolant related to the radiator fitting above the oil cooler.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any time there's an unintended engine oil leak, I get nervous.
Me too, it's just that with fire season now upon us yet again, I don't want the truck to be out of commission for so much as a day if I can avoid it.

Perhaps I can do it at night or on a cooler day sometime when the risk is lower.

That was my impression when I looked at your original picture, i.e., the "orange" was some sort of residue from coolant related to the radiator fitting above the oil cooler.
That makes me feel better, as it looks like the radiator's not leaking after all! This, of course, doesn't mean it won't (the old radiator began leaking in that area), but it's good for now.

c

Dale Stevens

Reaction score
C, sometime ago NAPA had a lifetime warranty on one line of rad. I'm on my 3rd replacement at no charge . Don't know about now as this was years ago. Dale

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That makes me feel better, as it looks like the radiator's not leaking after all! This, of course, doesn't mean it won't (the old radiator began leaking in that area), but it's good for now.

As for me, my nose will detect a leak often before I can even find it, and long before the leak is an issue. The scent of antifreeze is one it picks up readily.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to know, that's not something that would be on my radar. I don't think oil cooler hoses would be high enough pressure to need steel re-enforced, would it?

I was thinking it would be easier to do at home, since the two ends would need to be clocked just right.... also cheaper.
As to a hoses pressure-this is something I couldn't find-what pressure is in them. 10 forums/10 opinions-but what I gather it should be similar to engine's pressure.I searched other forums for the subject and in one someone claimed,that in certain applications in reverse gear pressure can go as hi as 200 psi(namely Powerglide). Hence the cooling lines better be ready to withstand such differences.