New Member here almost ready to start Trail Rig/Crawler build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle118

Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is Kyle,
I am 29 and I am a CNC programmer in my daily life.

I found this forum on accident while researching information/looking for parts for my build.

I have a 1991 GMC k1500 Reg cab short bed with +250,000 miles that I have owned since I was 15. I have recently upgraded to a 2006 GMC k2500HD so I can finally turn my old love into a offroad worthy machine.

here she is back in her prime

You must be registered for see images attach

I am still planning and sourcing parts so some of my plans are subject to change, however the end goal will always be an extremely capable rig that can go just about anywhere the trail is wide enough.

the 2 things i know i am doing are

one ton axles
and a
BBC engine swap

The truck in its current form is basically stock besides a worn out set of m/t's and a 350 in place of the original 305. I fixed the rust back in high school and the patch work has rusted out again and its starting to look a little sad again so its time for an upgrade or 2 haha.

here is a current day picture shes lost a little bit of beauty over the years

Onto my SAS swap/build plan ....

Front axle :78' Ford high pinion Kingpin Dana 60 with some sort of traction aid (already bought)
Rear axle : 92' FF 14bolt with a Detroit (sourced just haven't picked it up yet)
Gearing : 5.13
Engine : 454 vortec set up to run factory TBI (sourced just havent picked it up yet)
Transmission : stock (till she blows up)
Transfer case : stock (till it blows up as well)
Wheels : H1 12 bolt bead locks re centered with proper offset rock rings and PVC insert
Tires : undecided but something 37"+

those are the basics stats of what this truck will become. I also plan on running custom bumpers with a winch and removing the bed and building some sort of tube bed

something like this

Finally I have a few photos of the parts I already have and some of the disassembly I have been doing.

I will start a build thread soon and anyone that wants to can follow along, just dont expect progress to go too quickly :) lol

Last edited:

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome from Northern Ca. Sounds like a good plan and a good base to start from. I'll be following along.