New Member - 89 RCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember off the top of my head why I went with clear taillights other than I was in my 20s and they were probably cheap on eBay!

First step is getting it fired up which shouldn't be too tough as it ran when parked 3-4 years ago. After that it's getting the little stuff done like the headliner, fixing/replacing the radio. The speedo and cruise stopped working which I'm guessing is the speed sensor. The bench seat has typical wear so I'm going to swap it to a 60/40 split out of another GM.

I'll eventually do the body work and have it repainted. I'd like to make it look nearly new again over the next couple years. My son is 10 and I think it would pretty cool to do it as project and then hand him the keys when he gets licensed.
Welcome, I love the RCSB 4x4s. Your son is the right age to be helping you with it. Create some great father/son memories that he can then share with his kids. Start a build thread so we can all come along for the ride.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
You guessed it: power windows and locks, AC, cruise and tilt wheel.

The fella I got it from was pretty proud of it as he ordered it and an '89 Celebrity at the same time from the local dealer. He used the car for everyday and called this is "Sunday truck." He was quite the character.

Rad, very rare rig. Also rad that you were able to speak with the original owner. I couldn't imagine being in a position to order two new vehicles at the same time.

...The speedo and cruise stopped working which I'm guessing is the speed sensor...

It's probably that 15amp RWAL fuse, or whichever supplies power to the speedometer. I had an '88 whose speedometer and cruise didn't work, turned out the fuse socket was so corroded it went open circuit. Once fixed, both worked again.

Bopper

Reaction score
Rad, very rare rig. Also rad that you were able to speak with the original owner. I couldn't imagine being in a position to order two new vehicles at the same time.

It's probably that 15amp RWAL fuse, or whichever supplies power to the speedometer. I had an '88 whose speedometer and cruise didn't work, turned out the fuse socket was so corroded it went open circuit. Once fixed, both worked again.
Thanks for the lead on the fuse. It would work intermittently at the time, and it would make sense that improper contact with a fuse could act like that!

I suspect I'll be spending plenty of time with a multimeter on this project.