New LED tail light bulbs won't work right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lifted92

Reaction score
I have scoured the internet and cannot find a problem like mine so here it goes: I bought some LED tail light bulbs (3157) from O'Reilly's and when I put them in they didn't work, no big deal they need the load resistors, so I bought and installed the load simulating resistor. Turns out we hooked it up wrong, but we proceeded to correct ourselves, now the turning signal and brake light come on, turning signals work properly, however, when the brake pedal is pushed the lights simply go out and when you release they come back on which is the exact opposite of what they should do, but when I put the original incandescent bulbs in it works fine?!? Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Anything and everything is greatly appreciated.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I recall something being said about a special type of LED bulb that is required for the factory tail light assemblies. IIRC they were called CK bulbs or something similar. Richard (someotherguy) can probably tell you where you find them, I seem to remember him being the one who talked about them.

EDIT - Found where I saw them mentioned. Someotherguy and Crash were talking about them here.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?28211-LED-PARK-LIGHT-BULBS/page2

Last edited:

Lifted92

Reaction score
Ok thanks man! That SRCK bulb would make sense if the leads are flipped as to why it would shut off when the brake is pushed. :cheers:

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep in mind you only need the special SRCK bulb for the center bulb position - the one that is actually brake & tail. The top one that is just tail, you can use the regular LED bulb, no issue.

Richard

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure where the dude in that thread gets the idea that SRCK's are way more expensive than regular pieces, that's not true, unless he's comparing cheapo junk regulars to crazy nice SRCK's. There's a wide range of quality and brightness in LED replacement bulbs.

Modifying them looks sketchy as hell. Those wires will only bend a couple times before they break clean off. Return the regular ones you got and get the correct ones. Most of the stuff you find at the parts house is dim junk anyway, that can barely be seen in daylight. (sun's glare on your lens + dim LED bulb = can't see it)

Check out Autolumination, SuperbrightLED's, DDM Tuning, and V-LED's for some truly bright LED bulbs. You'll spend some bucks but it's worth it.

Richard

Lifted92

Reaction score
Ok I'll look into the SRCKs but I doubt I can return the bulbs after they have been installed and the cheap plastic packaging is shot.And you say that the O'reilly type bulbs are pretty crappy?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I were you I'd try and return the bulbs you have, they're definitely not going to be as bright as something from a reputable seller. If the parts store won't take them back, call it a loss (or save them for spares) and get the correct ones. In my experience parts store LEDs are indeed crap anyway. Richard listed some great LED suppliers.

Also X2 on modifying those bulbs looking sketchy, I wouldn't try it personally.

Lifted92

Reaction score
Indeed those bulbs are really bad. I have an LED on the top brake and reverse but an incandescent and the incandescent is obviously brighter, however the reverse light is alot brighter. O'reilly's said they can't take them back because they are electronics which I understand because we don't at John Deere. Thanks for all of your help guys

Lifted92

Reaction score
Indeed those bulbs are really bad. I have an LED on the top brake and reverse but an incandescent and the incandescent is obviously brighter, however the reverse light is alot brighter. O'reilly's said they can't take them back because they are electronics which I understand because we don't at John Deere. Thanks for all of your help guys