New here, own a '98 GMC K3500 6.5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ukeacreator

Reaction score
My name is Nick. Did a quick search but came up short. Im restoring my 98 and im starting with the esstentials ie steering. So i know little about this truck but i know GM put rag joint steering in some and they seem to fail. When im driving i have a few inches of play when turning. Is there retro fit kits out there to replace this with ujoint style ? This will prob be deleted but just looking for some direction for help.
Thanks

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
As far as replacements; there's several threads pertaining to the replacement of the 95+ steering rag joint with a Flaming River (or generic style) U-Joint. There is also Cunningham Machine who makes steering joints for these trucks using the U-Joint, and I believe Borgeson offers a shaft,

ukeacreator

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, looks like im gonna go with cunningham machine black coated lower shaft.
I replaced my rag joint, and while it's substantially better, I still have play in the steering gear box. If your rag joint is loose, that's definitely the priority, but understand that you'll likely need a tighter steering box at some point.
I read somewhere you can tighten these if they are loose or are you referring to a whole new box?
Welcome to the forum!
As far as replacements; there's several threads pertaining to the replacement of the 95+ steering rag joint with a Flaming River (or generic style) U-Joint. There is also Cunningham Machine who makes steering joints for these trucks using the U-Joint, and I believe Borgeson offers a shaft,
Thanks!!

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, looks like im gonna go with cunningham machine black coated lower shaft.

I read somewhere you can tighten these if they are loose or are you referring to a whole new box?

Thanks!!
Adjustment can help; but depending on wear in the internals of the steering box it may be easier and simpler to just replace it; Redhead or BlueTop are pretty good rebuilders, plus you may be lucky enough to find a local to you shop that can do it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I plan on rebuilding my own, but it's a bit heavier work than most people are willing to tackle.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
I just got my Cunningham Machine shaft in, I think this past Monday. I can vouch for the quality. Don't have it installed yet, but it feels like it's gonna take up a ton of the existing play.
Also got their tie rod adjusting sleeves. They're friggin massive. Super excited about those too.

Attachments

• IMG_20220410_195519.jpg
    IMG_20220410_195519.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 7