New guy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troydairy

Reaction score
New here but old to 400s. Ive had a 05 and a also have a 13 and still like my 94 more. Just found this page and will be looking for a few answers ive needed pertaining to replacing the pioneer deck with a OEM one. Thanks, heres my 94 sclb 1500 and 98 sclb 2500hd. Both 350 a/t 4x4
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome, nice trucks! If the Pioneer was installed using the Pioneer and aftermarket GM pigtails to make an adapter for the harness, it's going to be pretty simple. If they hacked out the old harness plug and hard wired in the Pioneer pigtail, you're gonna need a factory plug with at least a few inches of the wires left on the end to unfuck the previous setup. Do you know if the head unit was removed when the Pioneer was installed? Unlike most newish car stereos, the radio in these trucks was two or three separate pieces, depending on if it had a tape deck/equalizer. The head unit mounts under the dash, the controls mount above the HVAC controller, and the tape deck/equalizer under the center dash vents. Sorry if I'm telling you things you already know.

Troydairy

Reaction score
Welcome, nice trucks! If the Pioneer was installed using the Pioneer and aftermarket GM pigtails to make an adapter for the harness, it's going to be pretty simple. If they hacked out the old harness plug and hard wired in the Pioneer pigtail, you're gonna need a factory plug with at least a few inches of the wires left on the end to unfuck the previous setup. Do you know if the head unit was removed when the Pioneer was installed? Unlike most newish car stereos, the radio in these trucks was two or three separate pieces, depending on if it had a tape deck/equalizer. The head unit mounts under the dash, the controls mount above the HVAC controller, and the tape deck/equalizer under the center dash vents. Sorry if I'm telling you things you already know.
No no, good info. I knew about the 2 part deal. when I got it last year the factory deck was dead and it had the aftermarket one in on the center there. what drove me nuts that it had the dead deck so I took it out and tossed it and put in the nice little Shelf but the pioneer never has fit right. The deck pops out a bit. it's like there's too much wire behind it I've tried tweaking and adjusting and it always looks kind of crappy at some point in its life this truck had the entire dashboard took it apart because I found a ton of missing screws, nuts, and excetera in the last 6 months. It's amazing after you put some nuts and bolts in the rattles go away!

Troydairy

Reaction score
No no, good info. I knew about the 2 part deal. when I got it last year the factory deck was dead and it had the aftermarket one in on the center there. what drove me nuts that it had the dead deck so I took it out and tossed it and put in the nice little Shelf but the pioneer never has fit right. The deck pops out a bit. it's like there's too much wire behind it I've tried tweaking and adjusting and it always looks kind of crappy at some point in its life this truck had the entire dashboard took it apart because I found a ton of missing screws, nuts, and excetera in the last 6 months. It's amazing after you put some nuts and bolts in the rattles go away!
Did anyone ever make an aftermarket deck fit in the stock location by the heater controls

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to get one of these for when I installed an aftermarket radio in mine, it sticks out an inch or two further than the stock panel. Does your truck have one of these? If not, that would explain the excess. If it does have one, you may just need to pull that panel out and reroute the wiring harness, you end up with about an extra foot of wiring when installing the aftermarket harness adapters.
https://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Install-Dash-Chevy-Pickup/dp/B01LFSF1CW

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to add something, for future knowledge that I didn't know existed until recently, if you order from Crutchfield, you can pay a little extra to have them wire up an adapter for your specific model to the head-unit you buy. I think it was like 30 bucks for the one I was shopping for. Then, once you receive it, it's plug and play, no wiring BS to mess with. Just passing that on!

Troydairy

Reaction score
Yes i have the kit. I've popped it out 2x and still wont settle in correctly. Ill check out that link thx