New guy 88 RCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racerxxx

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here to the forum. Recently picked up an 88 RCSB after a buddy built one for his son. I've had a few square bodies in my time but always wanted one of these so he got me set up with a nice stocker. It was ordered HD and the dude had a 5th wheel in it. Not sure how smart that was but I wouldn't do it. So it needs a ton of stuff and I'm getting right to it. First thing was the sport mirrors. Already replaced all 3 HVAC motors and the heater core. Now I have working heat and defrosters. It will actually dry your eyes out. Outer window scrapers needed replacing, got the drivers done, now I need to find out why the passenger side window won't go down. It's got a bad right side rear cab mount, rusted thru. I bought all 4 cab mounts from LMC. I bought huge washers to repair the frame mount that I'll tack weld into place. Already bought the Bell tech 4-5/6 drop kit with the street performer shocks and c notch. Also rebuilding the entire front suspension and steering. We had another 88 OBS that we got free from my dad's work before he passed away. So that was sitting in the field and I'm getting ready to scrap it so I stole the front suspension off it. I'm bead blasting the control arms then powder coating them high gloss black. I do my own powder coating in my garage. I also bought all the ball joints, bushings, idler arms, pitman arm, tie rods, tie rod sleeves, rotors, seals, brake pads etc.... So I'll document the process along the way. As soon as I do the drop I'll order wheels and tires. Gonna go with 20's all the way around. She's got minimal rust and a fair amount of patina. Feel free to critique if you like. Should be a fun little project. Hope you all like it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Racerxxx

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the suspension when I cut it/ un bolted from the parts truck. Also tried my hand at a little suede interior. I used the tan stuff from the parts truck. It's starting to pull off the rubber dash parts so we'll see where this goes. If I can find the right parts truck I might swap the vortec 350 and 4l60e into it from my 97 Yukon. It's 4wd but I'll just gut the trans, change the output shaft and tail shaft for 2wd units. I rebuilt the trans myself in the Yukon a few years ago and only had about 40k on it. It did all the upgrades on it so it's solid. If I do all that I'll get a later dash and door panels. But that's down the road a little ways, I'll stock pile parts first. I'll definitely get the 97 gmc rad support and grille shell. I love that look.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like a good start! If the parts truck has the same type gauge cluster as your truck, pull it. Those are specific to 1988's. Also if it has the digital HVAC controller, take that too. Hopefully, you didn't get the Belltech kit for 88-91's. It uses the LD brakes and that pile of parts in your picture looks like the HD brakes (measure the thickness of the rotor--about 1"=LD, about 1.25"=HD).

Racerxxx

Reaction score
Looks like a good start! If the parts truck has the same type gauge cluster as your truck, pull it. Those are specific to 1988's. Also if it has the digital HVAC controller, take that too. Hopefully, you didn't get the Belltech kit for 88-91's. It uses the LD brakes and that pile of parts in your picture looks like the HD brakes (measure the thickness of the rotor--about 1"=LD, about 1.25"=HD).
So my truck has the 1.250 HD rotors. I ordered the Belltech 696SP kit. It's for 88-91 trucks. Spindles are part number 2400 (cast into it), if you look at the Belltech site under that spindle number it ironically says accepts OEM HD brakes (1" rotor). The 2500 spindle days the exact same thing. WTF? Nor in the description does it call out not for HD brakes on the 696SP kit. Guess I need to call? What's the difference other than the rotor thickness? I think the wheel bearings are the same for LD or HD rotors. Why wouldn't Belltech put those notes on the product page? I went with them because they basically were the originators of these drop kits for this truck and I figured they had they're s... together. Hopefully I can swap them out. I ordered the kit thru my buddies hotrod shop so I hope they'll work with us. Not really in a great mood right now.

Yes, I pulled the cluster, HVAC controller. Both HVAC controllers blink so I gotta figure that one out.

Racerxxx

Reaction score
Looks like a nice starter. Are you planning on painting it, if so what color?
So I dig the colors it is now. I'll pick up a clean bed up and then I'll repaint the truck. Other color option is paint the top metallic gray and the lower maroon and hopefully get a grey gut for it. But that's all down the road.

Racerxxx

Reaction score
Well, with some more research looks like the hub bearings are different. Looks like I have the wrong spindles. Mother effer, this is gonna suck. All the money I saved on this kit is gonna be out the window. I wish the Belltech site called this out. Hopefully they'll make good on it. Still ain't gonna be cheap shipping those spindles back. Ugh, this really ****** me if when sites are wrong.