New GMC owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fuegoflames

Reaction score
Hey everyone! About a month ago, I purchased a 1998 Sierra and, after lurking for a few weeks, decided to finally join the forum. It is an extended cab with 131k original miles on the stock 305/auto transmission. I am now the second owner.

Quick anecdote: My father does landscaping and, for the past three years, we serviced the original owner of the truck; he is a retired English professor who bought the truck in late 1997. From the first couple of weeks, I showed interest to buy the truck but he was always hesitant and I did not want to annoy him so I only mentioned it periodically throughout the years. He did not drive it much anymore and I would see it every week parked in his driveway sheltered by the foliage and dust that covered it. Fast forward to last month; the old man is moving houses and, at last, offers to sell me his truck for an excellent price. I am now attending the same university he used to teach at and my attachment to the vehicle grows each day.

I just wanted to share with you guys what I think is a neat acquisition amidst this crazy market for used vehicles, especially trucks. The previous owner documented all the service that was done to the truck over the years and even his MPG every time he filled his tank! Some of the original stickers are still on the windows and in the door jambs for the "next-generation airbags" and alarm systems along with the original owner's manual, radio unit, car jack, and two keys. Everything is original. Unfortunately, he lost the first record book but, I have records that go back to 2009 still. There are, however, a few issues I need to address: the third brake light needs to be replaced, it needs new tires (the current ones still have decent tread depth but are from early 2013) and it needs a nice exterior detail. Although most of the basic maintenance is good, I still want to give it a fresh tune-up in the next month or so including spark plugs, brakes, and new fluids for peace of mind. Since it is my daily mode of transportation for school, I want to prioritize reliability over aesthetics. This way, I can take my time and truly appreciate the engineering that GM once dedicated to this machine.

This forum has provided me with a ton of information already and I plan to stay active as I evaluate future plans for the Sierra. Any feedback and advice on parts/maintenance would be appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Here are some pictures:

You must be registered for see images attach