New Fuel pump and assembly, no fuel pressure 2000 ét

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey y'all... Got a fuel related issue now. My truck sat long enough that other things went bad while it sat. My truck isn't like others though, not 1 YouTube video had the parts my truck has. Took 3 fuel pumps and 2 FP assembly's to get everything together and back in right. Didn't take the box off the frame OR cut a hole in the box. There was enough hose and and wire to lower it all the way to the ground and disconnect it all. Past all the Trials and questions of the knights of knee, and turned the key and it popped right off. I couldn't believe it. Has a small shake to the engine now??? I drive it around home for 2 days making sure I wasn't being fooled, and it ran good. Besides the shake. Got all ready, started my way out to the woods and it dies a mile from my place. Just died. No spit n sputter. No engine light. Just nothing. In looking at it, I realize there's NO fuel pressure. Nothing. Red neck check of the pressure valve, not even a drop. When I till the key forward to pressurize the fuel line, it sounds right. It kicks in, for the right amount of time and shuts off. Crank it and it just spins. BUT!!! When it's done cranking, the fuel pump goes threw it's shut down. Like it is supposed to when the ignition gets turned off?? WTF??? That's why I changed the fuel pump I can't test the FP rely because it's the only 1 like it under the hood. I checked by touching, but all 3 lines are on the cap, and the wiring harness are still in place. How is it pressurizing if the fuel rail isn't pressurized? At all. Fuel rail doesn't squirt liquid. It doesn't pressurize when it's supposed to. It shuts off without turning the key off? What's happening? I've got no hair left to pull out. And now I'm sitting in bfe waiting for somebody to find me. This vortex is reaching the balance point. After all the time money live hate, I might have to get rid of it, unless I can figure it out. But I HAVE TO have a truck. This has taken all my everything, and still isn't running. I'm losing customers because I'm not reliable anymore.... Because I can't fix this ****** truck..... Anybody know? Has anybody had and solved these problems?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Do you have enough gas in the tank to pump? When I did mine I had to get to the gas station right away because I had next to nothing in the tank. Are you sure the guage is working?

If you have gas, but aren't getting it to the engine and can hear the pump there would have to be a blockage or pickup problem. Check/replace the filter.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. WHAT VEHICLE IS THIS? WHAT ENGINE? GAS or DIESEL?

2. PARAGRAPHS! No one wants to read a wall of text, especially when it's rambling, emotional drivel.

3. What diagnosis have you done? Tested for voltage near the pump? Is this truck new enough to have on-board misfire detection? Have you connected a scan tool and looked for codes, and looked at the data stream?

Has a small shake to the engine now???
4. That's a statement. Use a period, not question marks.

I drive it around home for 2 days making sure I wasn't being fooled, and it ran good. Besides the shake. Got all ready, started my way out to the woods and it dies a mile from my place. Just died. No spit n sputter. No engine light. Just nothing. In looking at it, I realize there's NO fuel pressure. Nothing. Red neck check of the pressure valve, not even a drop.
5. "Pressure valve"? Do you mean the fuel pressure test port, at the Schrader valve? Or do you mean the pressure regulator?

When I till the key forward to pressurize the fuel line, it sounds right. It kicks in, for the right amount of time and shuts off. Crank it and it just spins. BUT!!! When it's done cranking, the fuel pump goes threw it's shut down. Like it is supposed to when the ignition gets turned off??
6. WHAT "shut down"? The fuel pump doesn't do anything special when the ignition gets turned-off, except to quit running. And that's another statement, needing a period not question marks.

That's why I changed the fuel pump I can't test the FP rely because it's the only 1 like it under the hood. I checked by touching, but all 3 lines are on the cap,
7. What three "lines", what cap are you talking about?

and the wiring harness are still in place. How is it pressurizing if the fuel rail isn't pressurized? At all. Fuel rail doesn't squirt liquid. It doesn't pressurize when it's supposed to.
8. Does the pump run at all? Have you ever put a fuel pressure gauge on the Schrader valve? Have you ever checked for voltage on the fuel pump power wire, near the fuel pump? Have you checked for voltage on the ground wire for the fuel pump?

It shuts off without turning the key off?
9. "It"? What "it" are you talking about? And that's another statement, not a question.

If the pump doesn't run, you need to do electrical diagnosis. If the pump does run, you need to do pressure regulator diagnosis, or look for a broken connecting hose in the fuel tank--if your truck is old enough for that sort of plumbing.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you could just use plain English, " when i hit the starter it just spins", wait what spins, starter spins not engaging? Engine spins? You know, you can see, were all blind out here. Keep it simple, NOT Jeff Foxworthy. Can't understand it = no answers.

Reaction score
Do you have enough gas in the tank to pump? When I did mine I had to get to the gas station right away because I had next to nothing in the tank. Are you sure the guage is working?

If you have gas, but aren't getting it to the engine and can hear the pump there would have to be a blockage or pickup problem. Check/replace the filter.
Yes, over 20 gallons.

Reaction score
1. WHAT VEHICLE IS THIS? WHAT ENGINE? GAS or DIESEL?

2. PARAGRAPHS! No one wants to read a wall of text, especially when it's rambling, emotional drivel.

3. What diagnosis have you done? Tested for voltage near the pump? Is this truck new enough to have on-board misfire detection? Have you connected a scan tool and looked for codes, and looked at the data stream?

4. That's a statement. Use a period, not question marks.

5. "Pressure valve"? Do you mean the fuel pressure test port, at the Schrader valve? Or do you mean the pressure regulator?

6. WHAT "shut down"? The fuel pump doesn't do anything special when the ignition gets turned-off, except to quit running. And that's another statement, needing a period not question marks.

7. What three "lines", what cap are you talking about?

8. Does the pump run at all? Have you ever put a fuel pressure gauge on the Schrader valve? Have you ever checked for voltage on the fuel pump power wire, near the fuel pump? Have you checked for voltage on the ground wire for the fuel pump?

9. "It"? What "it" are you talking about? And that's another statement, not a question.

If the pump doesn't run, you need to do electrical diagnosis. If the pump does run, you need to do pressure regulator diagnosis, or look for a broken connecting hose in the fuel tank--if your truck is old enough for that sort of plumbing.
1 sorry I thought I put that on there. 2000 GMC SL heavy 3/4 ton gasser. Not an HD. 350 Vortec.
2 sorry, I failed 6 years of English and don't know where the beginning of end of or middle of a paragraph is supposed to be. Thanks for exposing that.
3 sorry, you sound pretty techy, I'm not. Don't have a scan tool, don't know anybody with 1. It doesn't throw a code, so my OBD II doesn't help at all. I just put a new fuel pump in it, had to frankenpump the assembly and use all old fittings and connectors... I live off grid, 50 miles from the parts store. Any appropriate testing I've done I've listed. No codes, no misfire code.
4 sorry, I don't know what question mark your speaking of, since this has been a year of question marks with this truck.
5 sorry, I believe the valve thats between the in line fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator is called a Schrader valve. Looks like a tire stem and valve. There's only 1, and that's the only anything between those 2 pieces.
6 Sorry your not familiar with the system I'm asking about. There is a default start up, and shut down mode the pump goes threw to make sure there is pressure in the lines. It's finicky on start up pressure. So it starts pumping for a couple seconds every time the key is turned in, and again when the key is shut off. If the shrader valve is open, it sprays fuel everywhere. If it's closed, no fuel moves there that fuel line.
7 sorry your not familiar with gas tanks on Chevy pick ups. There's a cap on the gas tank that is the top of the fuel pump assembly, that's the 3 hoses....1 Fuel (pressure) line, 2 return line, 3 i don't know where it comes from, but it didn't have a quick connect fitting in it.
8 sorry you didn't read my whole statement. Those questions are all answered on that statement.
9 sorry, I've got no response to that since all I got out of that is your trying to belittle me because you are some English major that's got tough talk on the key board.
10 sorry, you forgot the last number English major. You should read the article your asking questions on before you ask questions. Thank you for trying to feel better about yourself by wasting my time. But this time is for folks that are knowledgeable on the subject and would like to help. Recess is over Mr. English, head back to class so the grown ups can talk please and thank you.

Reaction score

I just had the tank out and fabricated a fuel pump assembly out of 3 pumps, 2 assemblies, with a brand new sending unit and float... That doesn't work. I just put over 20 gallons in it and it only ran for an hour, maybe 6 miles. And it doesn't spray gas, but only when the fuel pressure check valve is open, and it's in it's start up mode. Then it keeps pumping longer that I want to hold a nail in it to keep it open It seems like it's vacuum locked to the positive. There's nowhere for it to go, so it doesn't move. Gas down the throat of the throttle body and it starts right up. Without fancy techy computer thingies, how do I test the fuel pressure regulator without pulling my intake off? Can I jumper wire it to??? Make it Cycle or open or???? I'm not familiar with fuel pressure regulator and YouTube wants to keep me that way.

Reaction score
Yes, over 20 gallons.
Gauge is new, but doesn't work. I've had the truck for 3 years and the gauge never worked. If I hold the fuel pressure check valve open, during it's start up or shut down, it sprays gas, and doesn't stop till I drop the nail uv use to open it...

Reaction score
If you could just use plain English, " when i hit the starter it just spins", wait what spins, starter spins not engaging? Engine spins? You know, you can see, were all blind out here. Keep it simple, NOT Jeff Foxworthy. Can't understand it = no answers.
The engine sound without starting it even trying to. I use humor to keep myself from getting angry. I've had anger issues before, 4 times the courts ordered me to anger management in my life. Sorry you don't like Jeff, he's got a hell of a story.