New engine suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I'm just doing fine with my TBI. Granted the TBI speed density system is somewhat limited but it's still better than a carb. My 46mm Throttle body flows 650CFM which will support a 5.7L up to 6000 RPM.

Fitech Go series, Holley Sniper, Edelbrock E-street or Pro-Flo, MPFI, TPI are all better options to a (as I like to say) toilet bowl carb. The issue with a carb is it doesn't know altitude, air density/temperature, etc so, it can't adjust itself for maximum performance.

You tell 'em Peter!:waytogo:

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses. This will be my first ever engine replacement project. When you say bolt in, do you mean it will bolt right up to the transmission? And the transmission will handle the power and torque? If there is no need to replace my current transmission the 454 seems the way to go cost wise. Unless a 383 stroker will bolt in just the same and is better than a 454. I don’t know. I’ve recently started researching a 383 but that is new territory to me just like this swap. Thank you all

1)Yes, 2)maybe, 3)it will, it is just a stroked and bored 5.7.4)It is not better per say but it is another option.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
I doubt the motor mounts are the same, From my own experience swapping big blocks for small blocks. Personally I would love to have a carbureted big block just to be different. Of course a buick straight eight would also be different.:)

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
I doubt the motor mounts are the same, From my own experience swapping big blocks for small blocks. Personally I would love to have a carbureted big block just to be different. Of course a buick straight eight would also be different.:)

Well then you would be mistaken.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I have a carbureted big block swapped k1500 Snow plow truck and from my experience the torque is fantastic! But the carb sucks. The only reason its still on there is because its only purpose in life is to push snow off my driveway. If it was a commercial plow truck, I'd swap a stand-alone EFI setup like previously mentioned.

Go 454 with any EFI of your choice, I think Fi-Tech is still the be bang for your buck but I know Edelbrock and Holly are closing the gap and have more options.

Motorgod0

Reaction score
I have a carbureted big block swapped k1500 Snow plow truck and from my experience the torque is fantastic! But the carb sucks. The only reason its still on there is because its only purpose in life is to push snow off my driveway. If it was a commercial plow truck, I'd swap a stand-alone EFI setup like previously mentioned.

Go 454 with any EFI of your choice, I think Fi-Tech is still the be bang for your buck but I know Edelbrock and Holly are closing the gap and have more options.
Thank you all for your input. I’m still debating on what to do. There is a lot of information and a lot of advice out there. I did stop by one of our local machine shops and a local garage. Both places have done LS swaps. After some time with each place the consensus was to use a 6.0 LS engine or possibly a LQ4 engine. I got lost somewhere in the talking about the engine and researching. I thought those two engines were essentially the same thing. But I’m no master mechanic I’m just a hobbyist. Either way they recommended also replacing the transmission to a 4l80e and re-gearing the differential. They said that motor would tear up what I have in it now. I read both yes and no on that. I haven’t made any hard decisions yet. I would like some input/thoughts on the shops recommendations.