New engine not running right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saab84mw

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As some of you may know by my recent post I’ve been working on replacing the engine in big green.

99 K2500 Suburban 7.4

It was rebuilt at an engine shop they punched it out 40 over and put a comp cam shaft in it I will post the card on it so I got it installed and started it up today and it’s not running very well almost like the timings off a tooth. I set up a distributor to top dead center. It rev,s up to about 1500 drops down to 500 and Keeps going up-and-down up-and-down until it shuts off. I will post a video of it.

Could it be too much cam for the ECU or could it be the timing off just a tooth or two?

You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying that I've never messed with a 454 vortec. But it sounds like it needs a tune. The stock computer ain't set up to compensate for changes that big. Do you have any way of logging data from the computer? I.e., codes, ltft, stft, spark advance, 02 voltage, etc.

Saab84mw

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does holding down on the pedal to keep it out of idle make it run smoother?
Not at this time and it will not accelerate at all soon as you try to give it any throttle it shuts off

The only sensors I did not replace was the two sensors on the Throttlebody and the crankshaft sensor.

was not having an issue with any of those sensors before the engine went south

when I get back home I’m going to double check the distributor to make sure that it is placed correctly and not one tooth off.

several people I talk to about the camshaft upgrades said that I should not have to do a tune on the computer they said it would function better with a tune but was not really required to make it run.

The tune was part of the future thing to have done.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Not at this time and it will not accelerate at all soon as you try to give it any throttle it shuts off

The only sensors I did not replace was the two sensors on the Throttlebody and the crankshaft sensor.

was not having an issue with any of those sensors before the engine went south

when I get back home I’m going to double check the distributor to make sure that it is placed correctly and not one tooth off.

several people I talk to about the camshaft upgrades said that I should not have to do a tune on the computer they said it would function better with a tune but was not really required to make it run.

The tune was part of the future thing to have done.
That is odd. Good luck. If it doesn't help see if you can pull some data from the computer. Can get most everything you need to know from the phone scanners they have now.

Sent from my Samsung S20 using Tapatalk