New Dorman and Cardone master cylinders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anybody here ever used a new replacement master cylinder from either Dorman or Cardone? Are these decent or Junque? I can get a new Dorman or Cardone select replacement from rockauto shipped in the same cart as the other parts in the cart. Dorman one is on closeout.

Thanks
Matt

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not excited about either one but I think I'd gamble on the Cardone before the Dorman. Haven't bought either brand in a master cylinder, but that's a part where quality has taken a nose-dive in the past years...and considering I've bought a few Dorman items where the rubber was sub-par and failed quickly, I don't think I'd trust them for much. Now I'm sure the rubber cups inside a Dorman master cylinder probably didn't come from the same place that makes their formed hoses and engine mounts, but I think it's important to note they don't seem to care about the quality of those parts.

Richard

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking that, but wanted some assurance i was headed in the right direction. I guess dorman is ok for hinge pin and bushing kits, and thats about it.

Bought a new Cardone select distributor for my truck it was pretty good.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I may just pay the extra shipping from elsewhere and get either the raybestos or the delco.

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess dorman is ok for hinge pin and bushing kits, and thats about it.

I wouldn't even use them for that honestly. I've read some horror stories here about Dorman door bushings wearing out exponentially faster than the OEM ACDelco ones.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had my truck since new in 1994. Drove it off the lot. I put a set of dorman bushings in my truck drivers door hinges at 38k because an upper oem one cracked , fell out, and the door was dropping. The dorman ones are still in there at 150K and about 20 years. No sag. Door is fine. Helps that i put a drop of 30w motor oil on them once a year as PM.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The delco w its own shipping is about $48. I may just go that route since the OEM delco one lasted 24 years. Brakes at all 4 wheels are freshened up. I bought braded steel lines to replace the 24 year old oem rubber hoses too.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The Delco MC you buy today has almost nothing in common with the one installed in your truck new. About the same as those 20 year old Dorman hinge bushings vs. what they offer today.. just sayin'.

Not saying the Delco is a bad choice, just making the point it cannot be expected to be the same quality as what came on the truck new. I do not know if that is even attainable anymore for most parts of these vehicles. :(

Richard

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about the Raybestos one, or are all of em made in the same place with varying degrees of quality and packed in the appropriate box.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
While I agree with Richard about new ACDelco vs old ACDelco quality, I still think they have better quality control than most of the other companies. I almost always go with an ACDelco part if it's an option.