New Crate Vortec L31 into 94' Sierra 4X4. Any tips for the newbie???

Discussion in 'Engine Performance + Maintenance' started by Old Gasser, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:40 PM.

1. Old Gasser

Old Gasser Newbie

Hi everyone. I know this has been done thousands of times, but I would like some input before I forge ahead and have to start reinventing the wheel!
    My 94' Sierra has @ 207K miles on it and is tired. It runs fine, but is weak. And the trans is definitely going south! But I will fix that later.

My question is: What is required to run my stock(or probably upgraded some) TBI, and all my stock accessories,i.e. air conditioning, power steering...etc. on a Vortec 350? I have read some info, but I would really hope some of you guys that have done this could give an idea what I would need to do to make the swap.

Before suggestions of 383's and LS swaps start rolling in, I'll just say I can get a deal on a Chevy replacement engine in a crate, and even the budget 383 motors I have put together, after machine work and parts will surpass the cost of the crate motor. It's purely a matter of economics. I have two hot rods already, don't need a pickup that will be a pain in the ass too! lol I do all my work myself.

I bought a beautiful 1994 Z-71 in 1996, only had 20K miles on it. Traded it in on a new 1998 K2500HD with a 454, and drove it until we bought a new 2015 Z-71! I had to do a cam swap on that 7.4, if anybody has a cam go bad I could tell you about that experience.

I know most of you guys on this board know these trucks very well. I hope somebody can give me a laundry list of stuff I i will need to do , and watch for.

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

2. letitsnow

letitsnow I'm Awesome

What do you plan to use as an intake manifold? Do you have to worry about the distributor working correctly on the vortec motor??

I haven't done the swap that you are talking about, but did just install a new gm 5.7 in my '99.

Old Gasser likes this.
  3. Gramps

Gramps OBS Enthusiast

All your accessories and brackets will bolt up fine.
    You will need a new intake manifold and a tbi to 4bbl adaptor OR a manifold with the tbi boss on it(fairly expensive)

The distributor will work but you need a melonized drive gear on it otherwise it will eat the cam.

If you stay with the stock cam then the stock tbi will handle the fueling requirements maybe with a slight bump in fuel pressure.

Old Gasser likes this.
  4. 86454k30

86454k30 I'm Awesome

Old Gasser likes this.
  5. Old Gasser

Old Gasser Newbie

Thank you Gramps. I do plan to experiment a bit with the TBI, after its running and broken in. I have read some on what that requires. I may put a new Vortec fuel pump in while I'm doing the rest, then tweaking on the TBI as I go. Bottom end torque and economy are my goals. From my observations so far, if I have good torque from @ 1500 or 1800rpm thru 4000, I'll feel this was a success. So far I've just driven highway/freeway, and cruise rpm is around 1800. But pulling my 4 wheeler and all my gear to hunting camp this year seemed to be a chore for the poor thing.

I'm familiar with the dist gear/steel roller cam situation. I would change the gear.
    Thanks for the input!

6. Old Gasser

Old Gasser Newbie

I know that intake price is scary, huh? Wholly sh..! But, if it solves problems easily and makes everything else work, to me, its well spent. But...DAAAAMN!

Thanks!