New Crate L31 Replacement Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HopHead357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello All. I am in the process of dropping a new GM crate L31 Vortec motor into my 1999 K1500 4X4 with 215K mile. I've got the old motor out and have gotten it mostly stripped down and have been spending a significant amount of time cleaning 23 years of caked on oil and gunk off things I'm reusing.

I'm just about to remove the intake manifold which has got me wondering if there is something I should do to service the fuel injection system. Any and all advice appreciated.

Some of the things I'm replacing that seem like it would be easier to do with the motor out follows. Any other recommended parts to replace are appreciated.

Water pump
Radiator hoses
Heater hoses
Thermostat
Intake, exhaust, oil filter adapter gaskets
Oil cooler hoses and fittings
Power steering pump and hoses
Knock sensor
Crankshaft position sensor
Oil sender unit
Belt tensioner and idler pulley
A few mic. connectors that are COVERED in oil
Some worn out/filthy wiring harness shielding sections
Big 3/Dual battery cable upgrade
Motor/transmission mounts

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't replace any OE sensors that are still working. Or the PS pump. Or engine/trans mounts. The replacements are garbage.

HopHead357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't replace any OE sensors that are still working. Or the PS pump. Or engine/trans mounts. The replacements are garbage.

To be fair, I'm replacing those sensors with GM Genuine ones. The rest I'm thinking of leaving alone until they cause a problem. The PS pump, however, I haven't actually ordered yet. I just pulled my off last night and it's COVERED, so hard to tell if it's leaking or just covered in years worth of gunk. The pressure line however was obviousally toast and activelly leaking just sitting there with whatever was in the line. Haha

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Even the GM sensors aren't all made in the US anymore, I'd still run an old, good sensor. For the pump, you can get a seal kit for like $15 at any parts store. The reman pumps are complete garbage, even the AC Delco ones. It's more likely the line is the sole source of your leak anyway.

heskahoka

Reaction score
Is this Standard Motor Product one the same basic thing
I replaced my old poppet valve spider injectors with the Standard Motor Product MPFI. I could not find a Delphi set.
The SMP one installed easily and works well for me. I made sure to order the gasket set, bracket and injectors.