New Burb owner in So Cal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cpapeter

Reaction score
Hi all!! Picked up my first proper truck after 40 years of driving. She's a 98 Chevy Suburban, with just under 95k on the clock.

You must be registered for see images attach

Been a bit neglected and under-used the last several years, so the first job was making her properly road worthy. In addition to changing all the fluids, she got some old suspension rubber replaced, new shocks, and the brakes done. Had that done by a mechanic just because I wanted it done quickly. She still needs some new shoes and a proper alignment. Then I can get to work on the cosmetic fix ups. I'm not looking to do a full restoration, just keep it properly preserved so I can drive it and enjoy it.

The one thing I've done myself so far is replace the wiper motor. Yes, I could have probably opened it up and reflowed the solder and what not, but I just wanted it fixed and working. That is a nasty job - open the hood, close the hood, open the hood, close the hood. No wonder several of the videos I checked out had the hood removed! But its done and working and I'm happy.

Next up is a bit of rust taming. Only one real spot of rust, right over the driver's door. Gotta get that addressed to keep it from spreading. I'll probably fix the clear coat on the front of the roof at the same time. I should also address the spot on the hood you can see in the photo. It does go down to bare metal in a spot, so that can't be left to rot away.

From there, I'll just be fixing up the bits that bother me the most. The torn driver's seat bottom would be the next on my hit list. Not sure how much I'll post, but the bits I've read so far have been extremely helpful in choosing the right truck to buy and in getting started on my ownership adventure. Thanks to all for putting together such a good place to share info and swap tall (and not so tall) tales.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, and I am sure you will enjoy that Burb. I think it's a 98 only color, there's a guy on here who has a 98 Burb that color and I think he said it's fairly rare. He has almost 500K miles on his. My 99 has just over 200K, and gets daily driven in Houston, Texas area.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Pretty sure that's my code. Awesome color you'll get a lot of attention lol. I've heard people ask me if its silver, maroon, purple, tan, gold, or brown.. looking forward to the updates you do.. awesome platform and ease of repairs
I've not seen many of our trucks that color. Only a couple others on my side of Houston ( and I know it wasn't you cause I know what your Burb looks like lol!). It's a handsome color though, a little different than the super common pewter. Sometimes "common" is a good thing, other times not so much. That's why I want to keep mine just a little different,so I don't get mistaken for someone else ( who did something I didn't do!).

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've not seen many of our trucks that color. Only a couple others on my side of Houston ( and I know it wasn't you cause I know what your Burb looks like lol!). It's a handsome color though, a little different than the super common pewter. Sometimes "common" is a good thing, other times not so much. That's why I want to keep mine just a little different,so I don't get mistaken for someone else ( who did something I didn't do!).
Well theres pros and cons lol. I got your color on my hood lol. So that being said oem matched body parts you should find easy. I on the other hand had a hard time. I dont think it's rare according to the vin decoder it says in 98 4387 suburbans had this paint. Not sure if that's 100%correct. To me seems like a lot but maybe that is a small number not sure. I also wanted to stand out and bring it up to my tasting. Never really wanted a common ride like the new vehicles. They all look alike:)

Last edited: