New 10" Drums, Dragging Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THOMASO1371

Reaction score
I did some searching, but couldn't find a answer. I replaced the drums/shoes on my 90 K1500 with the 10" lead/trail style. Never replaced drums before, so no clue if I missed something. I have this sandpaper on metal like noise while driving, goes away when braking. Did I not adjust the shoes out enough or did I adjust them to much? I adjusted them to where there was a slight drag when I turned the drum, which is what I saw on one video. Complete rookie when it comes to working on vehicles, so appreciate the help.

THOMASO1371

Reaction score
Took the drums off and discovered the problem. Where the drum sits against the backing plate, it's rubbing causing that metal on metal sound. Now the question is, what did I do to cause this? The side that is damaged had the wheel cylinder go bad, could it have warped the plate, did I miss some debris in that channel, or something else?
You must be registered for see images attach

THOMASO1371

Reaction score
Both new drums match, and they match the drums that were taken off. Not sure how the drum size could be wrong. I feel like I'm going to have to take it to a shop, get a new back plate and just get another new drum.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
@HotWheelsBurban - Did you ever figure out what went wrong? I'm about to tackle this myself for the first time so appreciate any tips
Actually I haven't done drums on my trucks yet, last time I was around them being worked on (rear brakes) was back when I helped Dad on one of the square body Burbs.

I'm going to work on the grabby front brakes on the crew cab tomorrow. Been out at the yard across town (much cheaper and better selection than the one that's closer!) all day and have work this evening.