need to lower rear a little.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys! So ive been busy lately and what-not but never to busy enough to tool on my truck.
I noticed i dont like how my truck is sitting right now. Ive got a 2/4 drop on it with Shackles and hangers in the back and drop keys up front. Now my truck sits pretty low up front and almost touches the top of the front tire, but my rear is about 1-2" higher. thos kinda annoys me haha. I dont want to crank my keys up in the front cuz i love how it sits up front. I'm stumped on how to lower the rear by about 1-2". What do you guys think?

On a side note. i'm getting a set of 15x8 6lug Rallies this weekend. Ive got my eyes on this set at the moment. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/pts/4215030030.html
but if something better pops up ill be all over it. Does anyone know the backspacing/offset on the old school rally's? Will they tuck under the front fenders?

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say no.

You'll need 5-5.5 inches of backspace to tuck them. More than 5.5 May touch the frame at full lock.

Maybe pull the overload :shrug:

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That will drop it a "little" to be sure; the exact thickness of the overload leaf itself. It adds no tension to the spring pack (in other words no support or "lift" to the body) unless you load the truck down enough so that it makes contact at the ends (note it's unsupported at the ends when not loaded.) So to remove it just gets you the roughly 1/2" or so thickness of the leaf. FYI.

5 lug 8" squarebody Rallys won't tuck on a 2WD; dunno with the 6 lug 8" on a 4WD but I would doubt it. They have less backspacing than GMT400 wheels, if I recall, like 3.75" on the 2WD wheels.

Richard

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
That will drop it a "little" to be sure; the exact thickness of the overload leaf itself. It adds no tension to the spring pack (in other words no support or "lift" to the body) unless you load the truck down enough so that it makes contact at the ends (note it's unsupported at the ends when not loaded.) So to remove it just gets you the roughly 1/2" or so thickness of the leaf. FYI.

5 lug 8" squarebody Rallys won't tuck on a 2WD; dunno with the 6 lug 8" on a 4WD but I would doubt it. They have less backspacing than GMT400 wheels, if I recall, like 3.75" on the 2WD wheels.

Richard

the 6 lug Rally's have even less then the 5 lug's.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I pulled the overloads on my truck, (the black '98) & had a spring made the same shape as the others, the same length of the overload. Hated the ride.

You must be registered for see images attach

I've had others tell me that pulling the leaf above the overload will get an inch or so of more drop. Don't know about that. But I sure didn't like the ride after the above mod.

Reaction score
was the ride too harsh i take it? i dont really plan on hauling anyhting heavy enough to where i need the overload spring so i'm thinkin it wont effect me too much.
I have those same shocks too haha. they're alright.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The spring rate wasn't progressive. As the suspension got loaded up through the corners or with a load, it sagged more quickly, farther down into it's travel, then came back up too fast. When really pushing the truck, the rear began to pogo pretty bad.