Need some pointers on SAS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex_Warren

Reaction score
What's up everyone? I have a 1994 GMC Sierra SLE 6.5L N/A 4 speed with granny low ext cab short wheel base. Currently it's still running IFS and I would like to go Solid Axle. What kit do y'all recommend? I want to use the axles, t case and steering components if possible from a 70s or 80s 3/4 ton GM pickup. What do y'all recommend and can I still use my current transmission or do I need to pull it along with the t case from a 70s or 80s pickup? Thank y'all in advance.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have DIY4X’s kit. I like over other kits cause can run either 48” or 52s, all by swapping the rear mounts. ORD would be my second. Both of their stuff is top notch, and overbuilt. As for axles, the simplest would be 78/79 Ford Dana 44. It has to be 3/4 ton, 1/2 ton has coils and won’t work if want to use springs. There is a 1/2 ton axle 78/79, but it’s a one model only n tough to find. The extended cab 1/2 uses the high pinion 44, but is 5 lug over 3/4 tons 8 lug. But the axle itself from the knuckles in are the same. Can be swapped to to 6 lug, but need to find flat top knuckles from a mid 70s GM, everything from the knuckle out to go 6 lug. Can use a 77 n older 1/2, they have the wedges welded on, so they can be removed n have perches welded on. Using a GM axle is more involved cause need to swap transfer case, and might have to swap knuckles for flattop. Swapping t-cases is easy enough but then need to reposition the exhaust, move the shifter, possibly crossmember depending on how the mount is for the t-case. Read all yah can on this subject, it’s overly difficult, but was started can’t really go back to stock. I’m gonna starting on mine I think, I’m not good at taking pics but I’ll try.