Need some help with my NV3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JakeJP

Reaction score
Picked up a low milage 92 K1500 from down south. Needed a trans rebuild. I got the trans apart and the new syncros and bearings installed and had a local shop assemble the case and give it a good cleaning. I put it in and seem to not have 4th gear.(pops out) I cannot find a good diagram for the 4x4 version of this transmission. Does anyone know if a shim or something goes behind the bearing retainer? Seems theres something missing and it's just pushing on the input shaft instead of actually going into 4th. Any tips would be appreciated.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JakeJP

Reaction score
The bearing retainer on the front, where the throw out goes. I feel like something should be behind it. Throw feels the same. It feels like its just pushing fourth gear forward and not catching. I cant find a good 4x4 version in a manual. I will check that link out. thanks. Looking for someone that has rebuilt one recently. I talked the guy who I paid to assemble and he pretty much shrugged shoulders to me.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's plenty of stuff that goes behind the bearing retainer. You're going to have to look and remember what all you put in there. Are the input and main shafts shifted forward in the case?

Did you get all the detent balls back in your case?

JakeJP

Reaction score
There's plenty of stuff that goes behind the bearing retainer. You're going to have to look and remember what all you put in there. Are the input and main shafts shifted forward in the case?

Did you get all the detent balls back in your case?
Yes sir, all the detents and corresponding springs were reinstalled. I'm mostly curious about the shim behind that bearing retainer and what it looks like.