Need some help with my A/C PLEASE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Right, the fan does need to be on for the A/C switch to work. Simple way to bypass that is simply remove the green wire at the fan switch. Something I've done on mine, because in addition to turning the A/C off, it also forces your mode door back to the floor instead of wherever you want it positioned.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have this forum to thank for a lot of it lol. The rest I've gotten from ripping into my own truck. I'm great with electrical...It's mechanical stuff I'm not altogether up on lol

Same here in a way.. accept I'm limited on both. Half my knowledge is from all the parts I've replaced on my rig

GreenZ98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. Bought the switch. I have to take it in and get the freon taken out then I’ll install new switch. However! I did just jump all three switches and the ac will still not engage. I can still jump it from the relay so it does work. The AC butting still doesn’t light up and also I’ve read the defrost button engages the ac clutch but that isn’t doing it either. I’m ready to burn this beast.
Man I really hope you can track this down cause I'm having the same issue with my 06. Replaced every component of the a/c system from the condenser to the controls and the compressor will still only come on if I jumper it at the relay.

Bigred81

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have this forum to thank for a lot of it lol. The rest I've gotten from ripping into my own truck. I'm great with electrical...It's mechanical stuff I'm not altogether up on lol
AK49BWL Thank you so much. I’ve ordered a new resistor to see if that helps with the fan. The high cut off switch is under 250-360psi so I have to get the system discharged. It’s basically just a schrader valve like on tires for air. After replacing them I’m hoping it helps. You mentioned something earlier about the blower only blowing on the floor. It’s funny you said that. Because it now only blows air on my feet. No matter where I put it. Won’t come out of the dash or the defroster. Earlier today it worked but not now. Could you explain what that is again? I read your messages a dozen times to try to decipher them. I’m really no good at electrical. I have a pace maker in my chest and I get scared about frying it. But I’ll risk it for cool air so my kid can go with me. And just to clear up my blower works fine. Just won’t work on high still. But the other setting all work.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Still sounds like you might have picked up a faulty HVAC controller, but maybe not.. Try this for me: on the far right of the back of the controller, there's a gray connector. The green wire three from the top, see if you can remove it from the connector, OR, the green wire on the switch connector (which should be in position "D"). This is the A/C Disable wire. If that does not fix the mode door and A/C problem, I would sincerely look into finding another HVAC controller.

Also just want to verify something, when you redid your connector, you put the orange wire next to the brown wire toward the outside of the connector right?

For that matter, try using the A/C switch with the fan switch connector unplugged completely. That should rule out the A/C Disable wire directly.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And just to clear up my blower works fine. Just won’t work on high still. But the other setting all work.

Once you select high, the resistor is out of the equation. Voltage goes from the a/c panel (blower switch) to the blower relay instead, bypassing the resistor. The relay is on top of the box next to the resistor. This switches the blower to be powered directly from the fuse box, so make sure the 50A fuse is good.

If you have a mulitimeter it’s a quick check to see whether it’s the relay or blower switch. Let us know and we can walk you through it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bigred81

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still sounds like you might have picked up a faulty HVAC controller, but maybe not.. Try this for me: on the far right of the back of the controller, there's a gray connector. The green wire three from the top, see if you can remove it from the connector, OR, the green wire on the switch connector (which should be in position "D"). This is the A/C Disable wire. If that does not fix the mode door and A/C problem, I would sincerely look into finding another HVAC controller.

Also just want to verify something, when you redid your connector, you put the orange wire next to the brown wire toward the outside of the connector right?

For that matter, try using the A/C switch with the fan switch connector unplugged completely. That should rule out the A/C Disable wire directly.
Ok. I can understand that. Thanks for making it simple. Lol. I’ve got a really busy next two days ahead of me but I’m going to try to dig in to it. Once again I appreciate your time and help. Thank you. I’ll post results as soon as I do it. Thanks again.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score