Need pics of transmission line routing or a very detailed description please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just like the title says I could use either some pics or a detailed description on where the stock transmission lines run, from the transmission up to the radiator. While I was replacing the half-assed brake lines in my truck I discovered that one of the previous owners hacked off the stock transmission lines and ran their own. They aren't leaking at the moment but they are extremely rusted and are definitely going to be a problem that i'd like to address before winter. Problem is I don't know exactly where the lines run since the PO cut them out. I guess I could order them and just try and figure it out like I did with my brake line set from inline tube, which was an absolute PITA because a couple of the lines weren't bent properly. So anyways enough of my ranting, if anyone could post up pics of how the transmission lines run or give me a detailed description I would be forever grateful to you.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fluid flows out the upper tranny line to the top of the radiator out the bottom of the radiator back through the lower tranny line, slap an external cooler in there if you want while you do it.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I already bought the factory aux cooler to slap in there. It looks like where they cut the old lines it ran from the passenger side of the radiator down below the radiator and across to the driver's side and back to the tranny, is that correct?

Chevrolet1

Reaction score
Fluid flows out the upper tranny line to the top of the radiator out the bottom of the radiator back through the lower tranny line, slap an external cooler in there if you want while you do it.

Hey Mike, do I understand you correctly with the rewording below?

Hot fluid travels from the transmission to the in-radiator (factory) cooler through the upper line (top of rad). Cooled fluid travels from the in-radiator cooler to the transmission through the lower line (bottom of rad). I'm installing a Hayden 679 myself and need to verify which is the return line (takes cooled fluid from the cooler back to the trans).

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Yes you are correct Chevrolet1.

You can route the rubber lines anywhere they fit just watch for headers and getting pinched.

Edit

The pic shows opposite flow so now I doubt what I had said..... either way I know the correct piping is upper to upper etc.

Chevrolet1

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I've got the routing done for the aftermarket cooler, just need to know which factory metal line to tap. Need to tap into the return line so the fluid goes from the factory (radiator) cooler to the aftermarket cooler. Is the return line the one at the top of the radiator or the bottom of the radiator?

Chevrolet1

Reaction score
Decided to just make my own loose end hoses and watch the fluid flow, that way I physically verify it. Fluid flowed out of the factory trans cooler line mounted at the top of the radiator, so that's obviously the return line. Hayden #679 now fully hooked up!

Chevrolet1

Reaction score
Trans flow into radiator is the bottom fitting. Return is at the top.
That's what I was able to physically verify, thx daddy_dandy. Ironically, my wife's 2007 Uplander follows the same flow pattern.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's weird it flows top to bottom, logic would make it seem as if you wanted the fluid to flow top to bottom.