Need more heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had problems with heat also, but never had the crazy up and down fluctuations with the engine temp. I don't have AC, so this may not apply to those, but the door inside the hvac system that controls where air is drawn into the cab was not fully closing on mine. The cable that controls the temp lever has an adjustment to the right of the center vents, and behind the dash (of course). It will take up cable slack, or increase it.. Less slack, and the heater door closes tighter, forcing all incoming air through the heater core. Mine is a 89, with the TBI 350. You can get to the cable adjustment by taking out the glove box.. follow the cables and you cant miss it.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put in a new, acdelco 205 degree stat. Temp hits the 210 line, then drops a line and pretty much stays there. Thanks for the help on that.

I think tomorrow I'll take the blower out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fan housing, and as far as I can stick my arm, are clear of debris
You must be registered for see images attach

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
BTW, still heat isn't great. I'm thinking the heater core will need to be replaced, with an ac Delco part.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fan housing, and as far as I can stick my arm, are clear of debris

How did the evaporator look? It’s to the left of the blower, that’s where the debris will accumulate. It’s upstream of the heater core on a 98, at least.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How did the evaporator look? It’s to the left of the blower, that’s where the debris will accumulate. It’s upstream of the heater core on a 98, at least.

I don't have ac. The first picture is the inside of the box, pointed towards the core

Aleks2505

Reaction score
So, I had a heat problem with mine mentioned earlier in this post. Changed heater core, thermostat, hoses, coolant, checked door actuators, blend door, all checked out and still heat was not that great. I did an LS swap with a new engine from my old 305 since the post and the heating did get a bit better but still not that kind of heat where I recall 20+ years ago when I first got my truck, that it would almost force me to run out of the cab for dear life. So, I started to think backwards on what I did since the heat got worse, and I recall that I had changed to a bigger rad. This is when all my issues started. This truck had a much smaller rad before and I even removed the block plates that were from factory in front of the rad there to give this truck more cool air. Well, it seems that there has to be a balance with any vehicle so altering the ride size may give better cooling but may affect the heat in those cold winter months. I put the block off plates back and I did notice a big difference, I guess this would be like putting those winter grill bras on the grills that some in northern climates do. I then changed to a smaller rad and darn heat is back where it was like I remember it. So, just wanted to mention this as a potential solution especially if you upgraded the rad size or maybe the previous owner did at some point. With the new LS L33 all aluminum block and heads, this truck now warms up at least 5 times faster than it used to with the ole iron block 305.