Need more heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Y’all ever drop a room temperature (say 70 degrees) stat in a pot of boiling water? It takes a 1-2 minutes to fully open up. I tested one once, thought my stat wasn’t opening.
I have but that is different than one that is near operating temp.

He could always block off part of the radiator with cardboard too.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have but that is different than one that is near operating temp.

He could always block off part of the radiator with cardboard too.
I've got cardboard covering the whole grill. Since I did that, when it drops from 210, it doesn't drop as far, but it still doesn't blow very hot. Both hoses going to it are hot as a two dollar pistol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might need to pull your heater core bro,....maybe it’s a bad new one? Not allowing enough flow through? If both hoses are ouch hot, it’s getting flow, just may be slow/ restricted? But, then again,..... your return hose should be less cool than your feed hose (due to fan inside truck blowing across your core/ into the truck). You got a temp gun you could shoot on the two hoses to see your delta between the two? Don’t know bro, sounds like it wouldn’t hurt to check your core again.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got cardboard covering the whole grill. Since I did that, when it drops from 210, it doesn't drop as far, but it still doesn't blow very hot. Both hoses going to it are hot as a two dollar pistol

My guess is the blend door either is not shutting or not sealing. Which keeps the air from flowing across the heater core. Could be a bad actuator.

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meant to say above, if core was restricted in the heater core, your return hose would be a bit cooler than your feed hose.

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aaaaaahhhhhhaaaaa,.......yes, I replaced mine as well, now I remember doing that too. Yeah, what he said.

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also possible that the blower side of the box is full of debris which is blocking airflow over the core. My truck spent the first 25 years of its life in the Pacific Northwest and when I replaced the blower a couple months ago the box was 3/4 full of pine needles. Both heat and AC work much better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also possible that the blower side of the box is full of debris which is blocking airflow over the core. My truck spent the first 25 years of its life in the Pacific Northwest and when I replaced the blower a couple months ago the box was 3/4 full of pine needles. Both heat and AC work much better now.

That's very likely, as my truck came from the PNW as well, and it's spent it's whole life there, until about a year ago. I'm still trying to get chit out of that intake piece that's kinda a pre filter for heavier debris. Thing was packed full of leaves and what I grew up calling helicopters. Hell, I'm still finding miss in places on the thing. I've had the heater core out a few times, but never got to the blower. Air flow feels good.

I think I'm going to verify the blend door is sealing, and check for leaves.

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine flowed fine too so I was surprised to find all the stuff in there. If only the top portion of the core is exposed it will let air through but there is not enough surface area for heat exchange, and the air will be moving faster through the small open section so won’t have enough time to pick up any heat.