Need help with connectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aball

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a '96 Tahoe recently and now I'm trying to restore it as good as I can. The previous owner did some changes so I'm sometimes not sure about the wiring.

I found two empty connectors in the engine bay, one near the MAF and intake air temperature sensor and the other near the fuse block.

Can you tell me what these connectors are for?

Thanks, Andreas.

View media item 31927
View media item 31926

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First connector is to your coolant sensor for your gauge on the dash (there are two coolant sensors, the other sensor is located near the thermostat and is for the ECM). The gauge sensor is located between the #1 and #3 cylinders by the exhaust manifold.

The second connector looks suspiciously like your air temp sensor connector located on the intake plastic tube and the sensor is just upstream from the MAF sensor. But I'm not positive on that one.

aball

Reaction score
Hi,

my coolant sensor is connected to a single wire and the gauge in the dash works fine, does this engine has a second coolant sensor?

I should maybe have taken the picture of a different angle, there is a connector on my intake air temp sensor. So I guess this is another one.

Thanks, Andreas.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The one by the master cylinder looks like it goes to the brake switch on the combination valve. Is the brake light on?

You must be registered for see images attach

As for the one on the passenger side, are you sure that it’s factory? On my 98, there is one connector down to the solenoid valve for the heater hose water valve. Mine uses black and gray wires, though. It’s the blue plug in the center of the photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
east302 beat me too it. Sorry, I steered you wrong. I went out and actually, you know, looked at my 96 and 97 trucks. The blue connector on the driver side probably does go to the ABS unit.

The second connector doesn't even look like the usual MetriPack connector. The late 97's, 98's and 99 Classics are plumbed and wired a bit differently than the 96's and early 97's. Suburban/Tahoes with rear A/C are different than pickups.

On the passenger side intake manifold there are two, 2 wire connectors, the purge valve solenoid and the purge vacuum switch. But both connectors on both of my trucks have the blue keeper, rather than the type of connector in your pic.

Last edited:

aball

Reaction score
Thank you east302 for the detailed explanation, will check this afternoon after returning from work. Brake light is off, though...
I will check the heater solenoid but I think this is driven by vacuum on my car, or does it need both electric and vacuum connection?
I'll let you know.

aball

Reaction score
The one by the master cylinder looks like it goes to the brake switch on the combination valve.

That was a perfect hit! :)
Can you tell what this connection is doing? I cleaned it, put it back on and luckily the brake light is still off and brakes are working, too. I did a very short test run and I think the ABS is working, as far as I can tell from a quick test on dry tarmac.

I had not so much luck with the other connector, still no idea what it is good for. If there are cars with electric heater valves, maybe it is used for them.

Thanks a bunch,
Andreas.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The heater valve solenoid does need power, when energized (by selecting the “max” detent in the temperature dial) it allows vacuum to be applied to the valve on the heater hoses. That closes the valve to improve a/c performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aball

Reaction score
I guess I have this one already.
The unknown connector has 12V all the time, even when cranking. I think this is maybe some auxiliary connector.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3 XL mit Tapatalk