Need help with a 97 5.7 liter not getting spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have checked
-Fuses
-Coil
-Module
- Distributor does turn and rotate
-Crankshaft Sensor
All checks out. I'm double checking everything tonight though seeing if I missed something. I did figure out that the camshaft sensor on the distributor is giving me a wacky signal. According to the manual I should be getting 5.0 volts AC while cranking. I'm getting a high signal of about 16volt and then drops to nothing then back up high well past 5.0 volts. I've even tried switching my multimeter to DC volts and still got a sporadic reading. And I have tested my backprobe making sure I had a good connection. Also double checked where my ground is for my multimeter.

Correct I am getting a signal from his crankshaft position sensor. And have checked the time gap after getting mine going. Everything seems to be good there.
Check for RPM signal from the crank sensor USING A SCAN TOOL, because checking with a multimeter verifies the sensor/reluctor only; not the wire harness and harness connections back to the ECM.

Same for the cam sensor. You can verify the cam sensor signal all the way back to the ECM using a scan tool, with no additional set-up time, compared to back-probing for a multimeter or 'scope.

Trying to fix computer-controlled vehicles without a scan tool is two steps away from madness.

Marioman7989

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. I have been busy with work and other things. I did figure out that it was the camshaft position sensor and not the crankshaft position sensor. My buddies truck is up and running now Thank you all for the help and advice.