Need help pls.. i ve searched and tried throwing every part at it and im not proud of it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mason916

Reaction score
Long story so ill try to keep it simple. Friend borrowed truck and it died. Thats all the description i got.found no power to fuel pump so i changed it to no avail. Then it seemed i wasnt getting spark. At one point i was getting the new pump to prime but only without the guages fuse. Insert fuse and nothing. I have searched every post in all the forums i can find and majority say its a ground which i believe. Heres everything ive changed dizzy, icm, both injectors ,fuel pump ignition control on the colum under the dash, new ground wire from engine to frame. It seems ive gone full circle with this. Its got to be an elcetrical issue because during my search i found battery votlage at the ground next to thermostate. And poking around i accidently bumped into the green wire on steering colum with probe and the door chime started to go off.everytime i touch pro e to it it goes off so i must be making the ground right? I have printed every diagram off ive i know what im looking at i just dont know what to do next cause electrical Is all new to me. I rebuilt my 700r4 without any problems so i can turn a wrench. Sorry f
This was so long

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By reading your post ("both injectors" and "700R4") I'm guessing you have an 88 - 91 TBI truck? What engine? Have you looked at the FSM for your truck?

mason916

Reaction score
By reading your post ("both injectors" and "700R4") I'm guessing you have an 88 - 91 TBI truck? What engine? Have you looked at the FSM for your truck?

Fsm??and sorry again im a newbie its a 1990 k2500 6lug with 5.7

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fsm??and sorry again im a newbie its a 1990 k2500 6lug with 5.7

FSM = Factory Service Manual. They're GM service manuals that are way more in-depth than other offerings like Chiltons or Haynes. Normally pretty expensive to buy in print form, but you can download them here for free at the link PlayingWithTBI posted. They've got a lot of troubleshooting flow charts that can help you diagnose things.

mason916

Reaction score

Yes that
FSM = Factory Service Manual. They're GM service manuals that are way more in-depth than other offerings like Chiltons or Haynes. Normally pretty expensive to buy in print form, but you can download them here for free at the link PlayingWithTBI posted. They've got a lot of troubleshooting flow charts that can help you diagnose things.
I forgot about the factory service but thats where i down loaded the electrical diagrams

mason916

Reaction score
I guess what im trying to ask is what do i do or what do i look at knowing that im not getti g a grounf to the courtsey chime

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess what im trying to ask is what do i do or what do i look at knowing that im not getti g a grounf to the courtsey chime
Might be reading too far into the chime ground…

I know you said youve fired the parts cannon already but Start back with the basics. Make sure you’ve got at least 12.5 bolts at the battery. Make sure you’re battery connections are clean and secure. There’s a ground at the back of the truck on the frame close to where the hitch would bolt too, make sure that’s clean and secure.
You must be registered for see images attach

I’m sure someone else can chime in where the other grounds are besides the one by the battery and the one behind the head (passenger side?)

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note that basic probes can be misleading, feeding ground into a circuit that might be switched ground and activating things that shouldn’t be

For instance, if the lights are off and the key is not in the ignition then the chime shouldn’t be on but if you ground it then it is acting as if the key is in the ignition completing the ground circuit.