Need help on grille install!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
So I have a 1990 GMC Sierra with the single sealed beam headlights. Old grille is broken and looks bad with the sealed beam lights. So i bought a 1994 grille and the composite (dual) lights to go on it as well as the snap in filler piece at the bumper. Will this bolt right up? I believe that the steel back plate is the same 88-98 i just need some reassurance. Thanks,

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're going to need the '94+ side filler pieces as well, part number 15 on this diagram.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=27

Is that all that is needed to make this switch? I have a similar project in the works and have the grill and all the lights etc but I knew something else would be needed. Do these mate to the newer grill and bolt into the older truck? It almost seems too easy !

To the OP: You might want to look into the 4 hi headlight mod while doing this install . I certainly plan to do that on mine when I make the switch as well as adding the Cadillac "train" horns . Also if you plan to add the Temp/Compass mirror this is a great time to install the temp sensor for that.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is that all that is needed to make this switch? I have a similar project in the works and have the grill and all the lights etc but I knew something else would be needed. Do these mate to the newer grill and bolt into the older truck? It almost seems too easy !

To the OP: You might want to look into the 4 hi headlight mod while doing this install . I certainly plan to do that on mine when I make the switch as well as adding the Cadillac "train" horns . Also if you plan to add the Temp/Compass mirror this is a great time to install the temp sensor for that.

I think that's all there is to it but I've never done this swap personally. All I know is what we discussed in this thread earlier. As mentioned in there, it is also possible to grab the headlight wiring harness from a junkyard truck that would have the appropriate connectors.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/composite-headlight-to-single-headlight.44763/

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
@df2x4 is correct with what you need to accomplish in this swap. It's just the 3 bumper filler pieces (under grille, and one on each side under the front fender) and it will swap over.

Since you are going to composites, you will need to splice in new pigtails and remove the 3 prong connectors.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@df2x4 is correct with what you need to accomplish in this swap. It's just the 3 bumper filler pieces (under grille, and one on each side under the front fender) and it will swap over.

Since you are going to composites, you will need to splice in new pigtails and remove the 3 prong connectors.

Thanks to all who supplied info on this . I will take notes and document the process when I do mine. I think I am going to need a project management plan . The goal is to do the swap including the grill, the horns and the temp sensor all at one time. I have the harness which I would love to plug in but if that doesn't work at least all the connectors are salvageable for the headlight pigtails. OP welcome to the forum and thanks for stirring up all these good replies.

Edit: I knew there was something else I needed to do in this process... the 4 Hi mod goes in in the midst of all this . Just to keep my head more or less on straight I'm going to set it up as factory first, THEN do the mod and THEN bolt the new grill on. I cannot imagine any beer being consumed during all of this but it could happen.

Last edited:

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
Thanks to all who supplied info on this . I will take notes and document the process when I do mine. I think I am going to need a project management plan . The goal is to do the swap including the grill, the horns and the temp sensor all at one time. I have the harness which I would love to plug in but if that doesn't work at least all the connectors are salvageable for the headlight pigtails. OP welcome to the forum and thanks for stirring up all these good replies.

I really appreciate everyones help with planning this swap. Thank you all

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
So theae are the things i bought to do the swap
You must be registered for see images attach

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Be sure to put silicone around those new headlights so they don't condense or fog up when it rains. Had that happen before. Most of the time, quality headlights won't do that (1A Auto headlights, Anzo's, etc.), but the cheap ones seem to.