Need Help identifying a transmission wire 93 K1500 auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OK93K1500

Reaction score
Hello all! Looks like a great forum here. Just picked up a very straight K1500 extended cab for a great price. Needs some odds and ends done and has a few wiring issues with the lights. While starting off trying to eliminate bad or missing grounds, I was under the truck and found this single purple wire coming off the transmission near the shift linkage, runs up through the firewall and is just dangling under the dash. Can’t sort out what it should go to. The speedometer is dead and it’s throwing codes 24 and 59 (VSS open circuit and Trans temp circuit error) so I don’t know if it’s related or not. It runs, drives and shifts great.

Attached photos of the location under the dash and on the transmission. Plus one of the truck itself for fun. Not bad for $500!

You must be registered for see images attach

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing that wire has something to do with the 4WD but that is only a guess. Someone will know for sure. Nice looking truck and when cleaned up and wiring sorted out should be a good one. Be sure and come back and let everyone know what the stray wire turns out to be. Completed threads contribute to the body of knowledge here like nothing else.

OK93K1500

Reaction score
Thank you! Yeah, it has some wiring issues (mostly with the lights but also odds and ends like this) but for the price and as rust free and straight as it is I couldn’t pass it up. Once it’s sorted out I will absolutely post what I find if someone else doesn’t have the answer here first!

Could be, 4WD doesn’t work at the moment. The floor selector works and the he transmission does it’s thing but the front wheels don’t engage. Was going to check the actuator and wiring there as well, but it was a bit further down the list now that clear weather is approaching.

Thank you for the response and the welcome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK93K1500

Reaction score
your VSS is on the T case out put housing

Found it, as well as a broken connection in the wiring that was just electrical tapes together. Properly fixed and now the speedometer and odometer are live!

Different topic but related to the transmission, do any of you have experience diagnosing a code 59? Showing trans temp sensor voltage to be high. I’ve read that the sensor/switch is part of the pressure switch manifold and it having failed indicates that the pressure switch manifold needs replaced. Others say that the sensor itself can be changed. Seeing some different information on that the more I dig in search results.

OK93K1500

Reaction score
Sorted it out. It is indeed due to a swap. The harness for the original 4L60E was hidden in the frame. I knew that you could get a 700R4 or the E in 93, was just assuming that it had a 700 from the factory as a harness was nowhere to be found and the TV cable looked factory. Someone swapped in the 700R4 and made an attempt to manually control torque converter lockup, looks like they never sorted it out. I’ll run the truck until the 700 gives out since everything works fine, all 4 gears and no shifting or performance issues or I find a good deal on a 93 4x4 4L60E and ignore the transmission codes!

Thanks everyone!