Need help figuring out this Crank Position Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T_Ogle

Reaction score
I am having problems identifying and finding a replacement Sensor..The one on the right (small diameter .53 in) is what came out of my 5.7 2000 GMC 2500HD Classic.. Every parts place I have checked only has the Large Diameter .73 in for replacement..what gives??? The new one will not fit in the hole...Anyone have this issue and what was the solution

Thank you

You must be registered for see images attach

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought one from either Amazon, or Rock Auto for my 7.4 that was the small diameter, but I needed the bigger one. I took the old one off my '97 5.7 and used it until the right one came in the mail. 90% sure it was Rock Auto.

T_Ogle

Reaction score
Well I just learned from Chevrolet Parts Department that the small sensor is obsolete and the large one is the replacement..There is a note at the dealership about removing the brass bushing but no procedure on how..I tried asking a service tech and that was a mistake..They would rather have teeth pulled than give up any tips to help the Home Mechanic

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well that's nuts...I've never seen that small body crank sensor. Can you take a pic of the spot where it goes in; can this bushing be seen?

Richard

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have the part # by chance?
I don't, and I'm not having any luck finding it again either. I have gone back through old Amazon and Rock Auto orders without any luck.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I just checked 96 and 2000 on Rockauto, and only saw the larger sensor.

Does it have any kind of part number on it?

Probably the best thing to do, is just replace the cover and switch to the larger sensor. That involves pulling the water pump, of course... maybe you've got it off any way. You haven't said what you're doing.

New covers are not that expensive through Rockauto, but be careful... covers are available with no hole, for some reason.

T_Ogle

Reaction score
Well it is fixed now..With no help from Chevrolet..the new replacement fits nicely. ..The bushing does come out..You will have to carefully tap a screwdriver between the bushing and cover and the bushing will pop out but its a bugger..hopefully this will help others if they come across this problem..

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's interesting. So, why make the housing with a removable bushing? It seems their intent was to go with the larger body sensor in the first place. Must have had a few thousand extra of the smaller ones they needed to use up before they went to the larger ones.