Need help! Can't Find what kind of Trans oil I need

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having that plug is the main reason I added a new pan.
You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM originally adopted " General Motors " to identify themself and not be confused with steam engines. The current widely used transportation power. Engines produce power through internal combustion. Motors produce power through means not internal combustion ie hydraulic, pneumatic etc.
In common automotive parlance, motor and engine are interchangeable terms for a combustion engine. Do you actually have a purpose for your semantic argument, or are you just upset that the term "motor" is used that way? Does your state have a Department of Engine Vehicles? Are you excited that EVs might make the term "DMV" semantically correct? But feel free to tilt at those windmills.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Transmission (4L60E/4L80E): GM Dexron 6 (Dexron 3 will work fine and is what they originally called for, but 6 has superseded 3 and is a better fluid)

Transfer case: Dexron 3 or ACDelco 10-4033 manual transmission fluid (Dexron 6 is not recommended in transfer cases that originally called for Dexron 3)

Differentials: GL5 80W-90, with NO friction modifiers or additiives if you have the factory G80 locking rear differential. Be careful as lots of gear oils already contain friction modifiers. I use ACDelco 10-4051.
I wouldnt personally use DEX VI in a high mileage trans on a pan drop unless I also added a viscosity modifing additive just because DEX VI is a lower viscosity slippery-er fluid. I feel on a high mileage trans it may make wear "feel" more evident and that isnt to say it would damage anything it would cool things better and lubricate it just dandy but experience is big when your super hyper vigilant on car stuff lol. For sure remove battery cable for a long time to reset TAP values.

Also, i do believe GM sells a transfer case fluid I thought

Oh i see the name has both. FYI on the ps fluid thing, a lot of people use dex in GM ps systems. Its possibly not ruining the seals(pray if you are using it that it isnt lol) but its probably making it noisier than it should be and causes it to run hotter. PS fluids are good for that. Cold climate fluid for us cold people

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In common automotive parlance, motor and engine are interchangeable terms for a combustion engine. Do you actually have a purpose for your semantic argument, or are you just upset that the term "motor" is used that way? Does your state have a Department of Engine Vehicles? Are you excited that EVs might make the term "DMV" semantically correct? But feel free to tilt at those windmills.
In spanish, there is no word for engine. tho english does make an engine a specific type of motor, but not generally "the same thing" we definitely use it in the vernacular lol. I do. Frankly, if engine and motor both translate to el motor in the most relevant language to me, where I live, that is not english, then I truly have no reason to worry about that distinction in english because we already dont care in english despite the "technical" part and language follows people not the other way around so lets yee this haw.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe your right about the flush. Sounds like new blood all the way through the system will be better
i would not do a flush.

GM Says to flush coolers and do pan/filter changes, and flushes are reservered for major repair often because of something like a contamination issue. I feel they wouldnt just have that guideline for no reason.

They do make it abundantly clear tho about Cooler loop flushing and verifying there is nothign blocking it or contaminations in it.

So at least do that.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldnt personally use DEX VI in a high mileage trans on a pan drop unless I also added a viscosity modifing additive just because DEX VI is a lower viscosity slippery-er fluid.

I've been running Dexron 6 in both of my trucks higher mileage transmissions for years now and haven't noticed any negative effects. The 4L60E in my Suburban is original with 160Kish miles, and the junkyard 4L80E in my red truck is unknown but came out of a 300K+ mile truck. So far so good.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Agreed. and I have it in my 98 Sierra with quite possibly an original transmission.

no reputable transmission shop would use ATF in a rebuild, DeX VI only.

and the bulletin above also states the same....

Last edited:

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldnt personally use DEX VI in a high mileage trans on a pan drop unless I also added a viscosity modifing additive just because DEX VI is a lower viscosity slippery-er fluid. I feel on a high mileage trans it may make wear "feel" more evident and that isnt to say it would damage anything it would cool things better and lubricate it just dandy but experience is big when your super hyper vigilant on car stuff lol. For sure remove battery cable for a long time to reset TAP values.

Also, i do believe GM sells a transfer case fluid I thought

Oh i see the name has both. FYI on the ps fluid thing, a lot of people use dex in GM ps systems. Its possibly not ruining the seals(pray if you are using it that it isnt lol) but its probably making it noisier than it should be and causes it to run hotter. PS fluids are good for that. Cold climate fluid for us cold people

i would not do a flush.

GM Says to flush coolers and do pan/filter changes, and flushes are reservered for major repair often because of something like a contamination issue. I feel they wouldnt just have that guideline for no reason.

They do make it abundantly clear tho about Cooler loop flushing and verifying there is nothign blocking it or contaminations in it.

So at least do that.
do you have any actual experience in this or is this just what you googled?