Need help! Can't Find what kind of Trans oil I need

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been running Dexron 6 in both of my trucks higher mileage transmissions for years now and haven't noticed any negative effects. The 4L60E in my Suburban is original with 160Kish miles, and the junkyard 4L80E in my red truck is unknown but came out of a 300K+ mile truck. So far so good.
Yes. Im glad. I also dont think You are in anyway wrong for that choice, especially if considering using them for heat-making operations. Such as towing. Trucks generally enjoy good service life if they are not just ignored, but you have the advantage of having them for years now. I only have had the ability to drive for however long since 201...5? I should also clarify that I wouldnt use it on higher mileage, personally, not saying this is what i say to others, because the transmissions in my mind are Th350, th400, 440-t4, C6(merc vs mercon 5),

assuming it didnt say not to use it on the TSB for Transfer cases or manuals, I would not whatsoever try it in a sm465 or np208, np205. Because like the other transmissions I mentioned, they dont have any electronic controls which monitor temp and pressures and use solenoids to achieve their goals. Anything different from whats in it, viscosity and slippery wise, may require adjustments at the simplest to allow the proper use of, which I would imagine plays with pressures and might not like materials found in a high mileage older unit. Fortunately it says clearly not to. I also dont know how to do said adjustments on an older trans so that too.

Im also basing that on even back in dex 2 days gm service data talking about not using it for PS systems unless called for If I recall, because of a possibility to induce cavitation and possibly cause leaks if certain seals got stiff that would be found in old steering racks(no idea about boxes)

So I apologize it came off as disbelieving the fluid should or could be used, because if my dad didnt break the 4l60e i would definitely have put dex6 because it was hauling his overweight tools for 2 years over 220k when I got it and no slipping with unknown history, I felt it was either reman or just a nice lucky survivor kinda thing. If it gets fixed its definitely lol. moving on..

do you have any actual experience in this or is this just what you googled?
But the COOLING LOOP FLUSH WOULD OCCUR AT THAT TIME BECAUSE THERE IS PROBABLY ABRASIVE AND CLOGGING BITS OF TRANSMISSION IN THE PARTS YOU DONT DRAIN BY DROPPING A PAN OR EVEN REMOVAL UNLESS YOU SPECIFCALLY ATTEMPT TO DO SO. THE PROCESS ALSO MAKES SURE YOU DONT NUKE A GOOD TRANS.

Im not sure you read everything, because I dont know you but my first reaction to that question is a lot of things all in one but its not at all questioning whether or not you 1) have no idea what you are talking about 2) would lie about your experiences, thoughts, and question your ability to read.

I posted the TSB from GM for dex vi, a reliable source for what who why when how to use Dex VI. I also talked about how its potentially less a good idea to use it for PS systems, specifically gm, which is not talked about in that TSB. I also referenced cold climate PS fluid.

Did you know that it existed? I know when it was made and why, even. I also know what vehicles generally got what ps pumps, why, and when a Youd likely have what transmission and why for GMs (full size car and lesser extent the smaller ones but mostly mid-full and then trucks etc)
I also know the lineage of a lot of the transmissions from the general like how the noble 2 speed powerglide sitting in my shed bolted to a 1967 283 found its way through time into a th350 and then 700r4 and then 4l60 when they renamed GM transmissions to follow ISO standardizations and then 4l60e when it became electronically controlled and not by a TV Cable and that its saw many revisions over years putting it into different groups of compatibility.

I also know what happens when your TH350 modulator diaphram goes bad and in my case did this

You must be registered for see images attach

Before you ask another question, yes, Im aware of the other issues in that picture. And yes, that puddle is ATF. If you want some Dex II to go ill go put some in a baggie and mail it to you

Ive done fluid filter on at least 6 gm transmissions, Ive been in the passenger seat using my tech 2 to help diagnose chuggle in a 1995 4l60e. Speedo was off, but that van had changeable tire selection via tech 2, and It put the speedo off by a good amount but that meant The computer didnt know its head from tail on how it was performing because it has its inputs but it was trying to lock up especially early when the early obd 1.5/obd2 4l60e would start to see a lot of part and production changes and controls and sometimes revised calibrations that pushed TCC lockup out further because it made a lot of driveability complaints

The tire size thing is, my assumption, the wheels and tires were a set the old owner bought because the tires were old and the wheels were rallies from a truck, not a van, and his SPID had a different wheel on it. I forgot which.

Anyway, yes. I have touched ATF, ive had a strawberry milkshake in my cars, and I also have changed a tire and added washer fluid all by my rude explitive self.
Your turn. I wouldnt have asked you like I said but its only fair if we going there.
I dont see a single thing in your question supporting that you have touched anyhing more than a keyboard and a nerve seemingly.

I also learned how to drive manual on a 1980 gmc as a 17 year old and it was not pretty especially right away but I taught myself and only stalled it the first time only because I stopped and occured to me that the transmission probably would stop the engine if im not moving from the brakes. after it did that. Lol. Was proud I didnt stall starting out. And there that chunk is a piece of a TH350. want it?

If there is anything else I havent measured up to your liking on please feel free to file that through HR.

Oh, and Ive added dex vi to a car on a pan and filter and had slipping in high rpms especially going into a shift. However, Its not actually the fluid but I could easily have drawn that drooling correlation without anyone questioning that logic because hey dex 3 was OE, dex 6 went in, fluid was the same amount, filter is new, pan looked ok on the magnet, the filter was seated in the seal, and it did something it wasnt doing before. When that started happening, want me to tell you what 17 year old me was able to determine being the cause? All by herself in her 2nd car which was also the first electronically controlled transmission?
Agreed. and I have it in my 98 Sierra with quite possibly an original transmission.

no reputable transmission shop would use ATF in a rebuild, DeX VI only.

and the bulletin above also states the same....

I could call up any number of reputable shops here, any transmission likely going back to the year they added fluid temp sensor to 4l60e(I dont remember) they would use type f

Thats a pervasive industry myth is that type F does everything, put it in your PS, put it in your weed wacker, put it in your cereal, put it in your swimming pool, etc.

I use type F for one thing, my F150 power steering because it calls for that because of the steering gearbox and seals of the pump and the lines.
Strangely, their saginaw pumps when used also use type F but im unsure of what affect it would cause on a gm one vs the ones speced from factory for ford which also used a longer shaft in a ford diameter shaft certain uses.

No idea, but im not going to go put type f in my TC, CB, or P saginaw pumps to see what happens. If I were to have a rebuilt trans, Id use Dex VI for sure as well. :)

I also can share data about Dexcool if someone wants the official scoop on that... 96 trucks got it I believe?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
And so, my respect for you grows! You remind me of one of my daughters who has a photographic memory and can explain anything that she has ever learned. shes has also taught me many things because she is a great teacher. she is only 15 and doesn't really like to get her hands dirty but she will.

a couple years ago she helped me fix the wipers on my sierra. the wiper motor (remove it and reflow the solder), reinstall, adjusted the linkage and replaced the arms along with new wipers. she knows all about those now. I was so proud of her for helping me but I really appreciated the help.

a year or so later I got her to help me change the wipers on my Burb and I didnt have to ask or tell her anything. she just remembers it all.

I am the opposite and forget all kinds of things. Sometimes years later I have to ask myself, self how would I have done this? that way I can take it apart without destroying something like with cabinetry, LOL ect...

HAPPY NEW YEARS!

:cheers:

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have flushed and put dex 6 in multiple vehicles with no ill effect. I've done 2 this past year, 1 in a 92 gmc truck with a 4L80E used for landscaping and the other a 98 Cherokee. Both with over 200,000 miles. And they were "flushed". No issues. Both vehicles have 15,000-18,000 miles since. According to the internet they both should have exploded now. You provided no details on the transmission that got dex6 and "slipped at high rpm" so i'm not going to assume but experience has taught me to look at the condition of the fluid and the bottom of the pan before going ahead with a flush. Most of the time fluid changes on an auto transmission are done as a hail Mary because something is wrong and dumbasses think a fluid change will fix it. "oh the dex6 didn't fix my trans it sucks" "my transmission didn't slip before it must be because dex6 is so slippery" this is just plain wrong. when done properly and done on a healthy transmission there is nothing wrong with flushing. i have done it on 6 or 7 of my personal vehicles and over a dozen of "customer" vehicles. i use oem fluid, no issues, ever.

I post on forums to share my experience, knowledge and hopefully help someone out or lead them down the right path. I normally try to avoid virtual arguments/attacks but I hate when I see the same internet lore being regurgitated. The fact that you had to post your "CV" to backup bad advice is even more evidence.

Last edited:

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Correlation is not "causation"... Fact remains ,there is only one fluid licensed/authorized by GM for use in it's transmission. Only legit application for Dex III is for their manual gearboxes... Many trans shops use type F because they get it cheap ,and so they use it for anything/everything.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have flushed and put dex 6 in multiple vehicles with no ill effect. I've done 2 this past year, 1 in a 92 gmc truck with a 4L80E used for landscaping and the other a 98 Cherokee. Both with over 200,000 miles. And they were "flushed". No issues. Both vehicles have 15,000-18,000 miles since. According to the internet they both should have exploded now. You provided no details on the transmission that got dex6 and "slipped at high rpm" so i'm not going to assume but experience has taught me to look at the condition of the fluid and the bottom of the pan before going ahead with a flush. Most of the time fluid changes on an auto transmission are done as a hail Mary because something is wrong and dumbasses think a fluid change will fix it. "oh the dex6 didn't fix my trans it sucks" "my transmission didn't slip before it must be because dex6 is so slippery" this is just plain wrong. when done properly and done on a healthy transmission there is nothing wrong with flushing. i have done it on 6 or 7 of my personal vehicles and over a dozen of "customer" vehicles. i use oem fluid, no issues, ever.

I post on forums to share my experience, knowledge and hopefully help someone out or lead them down the right path. I normally try to avoid virtual arguments/attacks but I hate when I see the same internet lore being regurgitated. The fact that you had to post your "CV" to backup bad advice is even more evidence.
The only thing wrong with what you responded is that you and I are not having the same conversation.

Youre arguing with me over what you assume I feel about Dexron VI.

And no, the transmission did not slip from Dexron VI.

This was why.

I am the one that posted the TSB for people to see FROM gm the facts and what they can use and if its safe, Im getting annoyed at these assumptions that I believe dexron vi will kill a trans and that you shouldnt use it.
Infact there are multiple places wheere I say "go for it" and "Im glad that worked for you" kind of stuff,

Also Idk what "C.V" means

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Correlation is not "causation"... Fact remains ,there is only one fluid licensed/authorized by GM for use in it's transmission. Only legit application for Dex III is for their manual gearboxes... Many trans shops use type F because they get it cheap ,and so they use it for anything/everything.
correct. who are you speaking towards?