Need Help Advice On Rear Disc Conversion On DRW DUALLY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ForeverFalcon40

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I AM FINISHED WITH OEM DRUM SET UP on 96 GMC K3500 6.5/80E/14FF

In less than 9 years I'm going on my 3rd set of Wheel Cylinders. The last set I feel is my fault b/c truck sat for 9 Months between ebing sick for 6 and waiting on back ordered parts for 3 Months.

Long Story Story Short, did a decent amount of work after the truck sat. I took it on its Maiden Voyage and it blew a brake line. Replaced the line and went to go bleed the brakes and snapped a bleeder.

INFO ON THIS SWAP IS VERY LIMITED!

I ASSUME BC ONE KIT COSTS $2K PLUS and is BOLT ON VIA TSM

or

Lugnut 4x4 Kit isn't bolt on and takes some work to install.

After pricing out my kit it will be around $800
prem rotors
semi pads
ss hoses
weld on hose brackets

I don't need spacers bc I'm on 19.5's

Has anyone used the BOLT ON KIT? That is more my style! Weld On Kit is not and I would have a reputable shop do it. Lug Nut Kit may cost me more in the long run.

I thought about grabbing and rear from HD Chassis that comes with Disc but the shop I trust says its not worth it between fitting it and re-gearing it.

Open to options from people who have done this!

THIS IS A DUALLY A WHOLE DIFFERENT BALL GAME FROM A SRW

PFA

Attachments

• IMG_3661.jpg
    IMG_3661.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 36

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Watching. No input, but I've been doing the same homework. Bed is coming off soon for restoration, so everything I can get to on the back half of the truck is under the microscope. Those rear brakes, while I have nothing against the big drums, refuse to reliably adjust to help those poor little fronts. Granted, I rarely use reverse to help them adjust, which just further reinforces the thought that disks may be a better call. Especially since it may help enough to not have to upgrade the fronts when I get up to that half of the truck.

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve wondered whether the GMT800 DRW factory disc system from 2001+ could be retrofitted to the GMT400. It’s been difficult trying to find any info on this though, I mainly just find info about aftermarket brackets that are available.

Not sure if this is the SRW or DRW bracket, but it’s encouraging that it’s available.

Attachments

• C6DB2C47-7441-432B-97B3-6481D44A1712.png
    C6DB2C47-7441-432B-97B3-6481D44A1712.png
    387.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

ForeverFalcon40

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Watching. No input, but I've been doing the same homework. Bed is coming off soon for restoration, so everything I can get to on the back half of the truck is under the microscope. Those rear brakes, while I have nothing against the big drums, refuse to reliably adjust to help those poor little fronts. Granted, I rarely use reverse to help them adjust, which just further reinforces the thought that disks may be a better call. Especially since it may help enough to not have to upgrade the fronts when I get up to that half of the truck.

I’m coming to the conclusion no one did this b/c $2k is a lot of money for people to shell out on top of labor if they don’t do the work themselves

The lug nut kit specked out is going to set me back around $1k but brackets need to be fitted and welded. That is something I’m not comfortable trying to fit and line up brackets and so on. I can weld but a flap disc makes me the welder I’m not. Welding on brackets for brakes is very important.

ForeverFalcon40

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve wondered whether the GMT800 DRW factory disc system from 2001+ could be retrofitted to the GMT400. It’s been difficult trying to find any info on this though, I mainly just find info about aftermarket brackets that are available.

Not sure if this is the SRW or DRW bracket, but it’s encouraging that it’s available.
Anything can be retrofitted with time and money. Unfortunately I’m not affluent In NBS. That is because I don’t own one.

Either route anyone goes…it’s not going to be cheap.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
a line will pop and a bleeder will snap on a disk brake system too, is it really worth the trouble? don't forget the parking brake system will need configuring as well.

Probably a complete disk brake axle swap would be the easiest route to take.

ForeverFalcon40

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
a line will pop and a bleeder will snap on a disk brake system too, is it really worth the trouble? don't forget the parking brake system will need configuring as well.

Probably a complete disk brake axle swap would be the easiest route to take.
It’s a lot to pop off tires and caliper vs the entire system. Plus Bleeder will be more of an accessible spot for me.

Parking brakes are optional. I plan on retaining mine. Seems cable length has to be played with if I go the Lug Nut Route.

ForeverFalcon40

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also while everything is off…

Strip it all down and paint it