need for grounds?, help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WVBearcub

Reaction score
My (93) assuming it's factory because I haven't messed with it

Batt to block
Batt to fender
Firewall to frame
Firewall to passenger head

Yep, I've redone all the grounds except the one from firewall to passenger head. The idle is better, but the voltage is still 17v. From what I've found yours is exactly how they are supposed to be.

WVBearcub

Reaction score
Have you actually checked it with a meter ? Before anything else, find out if your dash volt meter is telling a lie or if it is charging that high.

I'm going to install a voltage gauge, I don't trust the cluster. Same goes for temp and oil pressure.

WVBearcub

Reaction score
Pretty sure that's all I had as well. That and 3 or 4 grounds off the engine harness. Guess I'll find out when I go to start it in a couple weeks.

I only found one off the harness and it attaches at the thermostat housing with a nut. I looked towards the back near the distributor and didn't see any. My truck isn't factory at all, so if you find grounds back there from the harness is there any way that you could post a pic?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is on a 98 350, but the ground is on the back from the wiring harness that goes over the intake. Maybe it’s the same location on your model.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
I only found one off the harness and it attaches at the thermostat housing with a nut. I looked towards the back near the distributor and didn't see any. My truck isn't factory at all, so if you find grounds back there from the harness is there any way that you could post a pic?
I'm the last person to consult with about wiring, I hate them so much. My wires are all separated out, grounding at new locations, and waiting to be reloomed.
There is the one you found, the one east302 is pointing out, and there is another that should be somewhere in between. There were 2 wires going to the eyelet and 1 of them went to the ignition control module/relay (don't know what it's called, it's on the same bracket as the egr control solenoid), maybe, I think.
Sure would be nice if there was a thread of nothing but multi-angle pics of engine compartments for everyone to reference for this sort of thing. It'll be a couple days till I'm at my truck again; I'll try to get a picture that may be helpful.

Last edited:

WVBearcub

Reaction score
I need to find the grounds in the back, I didn't see those. I didn't realize how many grounds there are. Thanks for the pics east302

WVBearcub

Reaction score
Alright guys, I've tried everything. I'm running 17.9v and all grounds are in place, no burnt wires or anything. Any ideas?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would say the regulator in your alt is faulty. You should not be charging that high.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have an automotive electrical rebuild shop nearby? Take your alternator there and have them bench test it.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have an automotive electrical rebuild shop nearby? Take your alternator there and have them bench test it.
Might try a parts store if you don't have one of those.. Years ago when i worked at advance auto we where able to bench test them. And if i remember right I think napa could as well.