need for grounds?, help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks this is what I needed, none of these grounds are there. The person that had the truck before me replaced the engine and didn't hook anything back up it seems.

Your welcome.. that'll deffinately cause a plethora of issues...lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Once you fix all those grounds many of your issues will likely go away. That truck could turn out to be the bargain of the week. Please make sure and report back how it comes out.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My battery ground is going to the frame. There's no grounds to the engine.
Begin by fixing that.

The starter motor will probably work better, too.

It's a bad voltage regulator. Should never exceed 15 volts.Ever.
I might believe that, if he hadn't tried three alternators (with internal regulators) with the same results.

This is almost certainly a wiring issue, where the alternator cannot sense system voltage properly so the regulator has no idea what voltage to provide.

WVBearcub

Reaction score
Once you fix all those grounds many of your issues will likely go away. That truck could turn out to be the bargain of the week. Please make sure and report back how it comes out.

Let's hope so, the guy replaced rings, main bearings, cam and valve seals. Then once he got the engine in the truck he couldn't get it to charge. I'll be happy as hell if everything gets lined out. I'll report back for sure.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
94 grounds...

--Batt to engine(by thermostat or down by where a mech fuel pump would normally go)
--Batt to frame
--Batt to fender(right next to battery)
--rear of passenger side head to firewall(should be a braided ground strap)

Side note- there are a few smaller ground wires coming out of the wire harness by the tbi. They MUST be grounded, bolted down to the intake. A couple of the are actually the grounds for the gauge cluster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Battery to frame? I do not remember mine having a cable to the frame when I tore it down. To fender and engine, I remember. Mine is a C1500 2WD.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
My (93) assuming it's factory because I haven't messed with it

Batt to block
Batt to fender
Firewall to frame
Firewall to passenger head

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The self exciting regulator was supposed to be set at 14.7v, it's been running the high voltage for 2 months. I don't know if the cluster is even right. I need to put in an actual gauge.

That brown exciter wire that didn't work I could not figure out and neither could the guy that had the truck before me, which is how I got the truck for $500. I thought it would be an easy fix and couldn't pass it up, but I was wrong.

I know that the voltage is way too high, not sure how to fix it. The truck doesn't have a stereo (afraid to put one in until issue is fixed), no shift cable because it's a 5 speed and doesn't have cruise control. The ecm part worries me tho.

My battery ground is going to the frame. There's no grounds to the engine.
Have you actually checked it with a meter ? Before anything else, find out if your dash volt meter is telling a lie or if it is charging that high.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
My (93) assuming it's factory because I haven't messed with it

Batt to block
Batt to fender
Firewall to frame
Firewall to passenger head
Pretty sure that's all I had as well. That and 3 or 4 grounds off the engine harness. Guess I'll find out when I go to start it in a couple weeks.