Need advise with NV4500 to Gen3 6.0 LQ4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88LQ4

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and looking for a little advice on the swap i'm performing. Here's a little back ground:

Donor engine - Lq4 from chevy express 3500 van (DBC)
Donor trans - NV4500 from 1994 chevy K2500
Swap vehicle - 1988 K3500 single axel long bed standard cab.

The question I have is this. I know they put the NV behind the LQ4 but that setup from the dealer had an internal slave cylinder. The setup I 'm running has an external slave cylinder. The LQ4 I pulled from the van had the 4L80e behind it so it already has the crank spacer to give it the correct distance/spacing for the flywheel to input shaft on the trans. I'm wondering if I bought a stock/OE clutch kit and flywheel for a 2003 chevy 2500HD if my external clutch slave would work correctly? Maybe a better question would be has anyone ever measured the difference in throw out distance between and internal and external clutch slave cylinder? I know I am asking a pretty odd question but I really don't want to buy a clutch kit for a 2003 chevy 2500HD, install everything and have not disengage the clutch. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

88LQ4

Reaction score
Ok so I spoke with Advance adapters (AA) yesterday a bit (they make a kit for LQ4 to NV4500 with external slave) the sale manager informed me there isn't a good way to make this happen without modifying the pressure plate because the internal and external slave throwout bearings have two different "throw lenght". I ended up ordering a 12" Centerforce (CF) DISK # 384024, and a CENTERFORCE II P.P CFT361909 and the AA flywheel kit.

The kit AA has to offer is suppose to go with the bell housing they manufacture and will also work with the original bell housing. The bell housing they manufacture is a little bit smaller than the original NV4500 bell housing and can only fit a 11" clutch. Because I'm using the original bell housing from my NV4500 I opted to buy the 12" CF disk and pressure plate. If all goes as planned I will be putting a single turbo on this truck and wanted the larger surface area for holding power. I'm not much of a blogger/forum guy but if I have some interest on here I think i will post some project progress pics ect...