Need advice on led headlight conversion???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NO4NSHT

Reaction score
I understand that the cheaper lights won't last as long but at this moment i can't really afford to get the ones i really want. So I'll settle for these and I'll get the ones i want later and give these to my nephew for his truck. Not a big deal to me. And i painted the inside cuz i was way to intoxicated to be doin anything to the truck but i had watched a video on how the guy made his look nicer by painting the inside but my problem is i didn't watch the whole damn thing and he installed projectors i believe or they were possibly small led light pods my screen is decently cracke but i like this phone lol. So thats why i screwed up. But i plan on getting better ones maybe this Christmas if i still have it by then not sure thats another reason i dont want to dump a lot of money in it atm.

I'm not sure where you're from someotherguy but here which I am about 45 minutes NW of Orlando Florida there aren't any of these trucks anywhere at a junkyard that i know of. I've actually looked into it already. Had a few people laugh at me when i asked them no joking either. So it was either by decent set around $70 or suffer it out. I contemplated imstalling light bars but i thought about how much i hate them assholes who do that and i wouldn't wanna be the cause to anyone getting hurt i just want to be able to see in front of me. Where i live there ain't no street lights except the one at the post office..

NO4NSHT

Reaction score
I appreciate and accept the apology, thanks. We all have those days. I've been lashed out at unnecessarily my fair share of times here over the years for giving info that people don't want to hear. Most of them never own up to it though.

If you have the time and really want to learn all about it, read through that 200+ page thread I linked sometime. Everything you'd ever want to know is in there. The long and short of it goes like this. The drop in 9005/9006 LEDs may be brighter than halogens, but the multiple sided diode distribution as opposed to the 360 degree output from a halogen filament throws light much differently. Meaning that even with brand new headlight housings you're introducing unwanted glare and/or hot spots by switching to LEDs. If you combine that with your taped up reflectors you're going to be throwing light all over the place. That's why I was so adamant about telling you to replace the housings before going LED. Truth be told you'd be much better off (and probably have more total brightness) by switching to 9011/9012 HIR bulbs and upgrading your headlight wiring harness to a heavy duty model like @5vortec7 makes. Upgrading the harness alone will gain you over a full volt at the connectors which translates to a whole boatload more output, and the HIR bulbs are easy to fit just by trimming the tabs.

Regarding the Anzo and Spyder chrome housings that everyone is recommending, everyone uses them for a reason. They work well. They don't require any kind of fiddling like swapping brackets or sealing with silicone. 99% of the cheaper aftermarket options will. If you really want black housings I'd at least consider going with some from Anzo, although any reduction in reflective surfaces in the housing will reduce output. I know it may seem like a lot of money but to put things in perspective the factory headlights are around $150 per side.

I never tbought about doin that to the wires. They do seem pretty small and just not of the thickness that i would think they would be. I've already got 2 of the wires needed to do the big 3. I do all my own stereo system installs and many for others as well. My father always taught me to do things myself and if i couldn't then i was to figure out how to do it.
First car i owned was a 1970 Chevelle 355ci mild build but i pretty much built it myself if i couldn't figure it out i asked my father he showed me and i went back to work on it and he went back to whatever he was doin at that time. So i do my best to do everything i can for myself there's a few things i can't but i figured out how to completely wire that Chevelle from just a fuse box we had gotten at a swap meet. I learned how to pay attention to detail and how to solder at 15. And to think he had a whole damn wiring harness for the car put up incase i fked up lol but i learned a lot growing up.
I will definitely get on the headlight wiring harness asap. Thanks for that tip.

Something every father and son/daughter should do is a truck or car build together many memories ill never forget. And many lessons and skills i thank God for giving me a father that cared enough to teach me.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you're from someotherguy but here which I am about 45 minutes NW of Orlando Florida there aren't any of these trucks anywhere at a junkyard that i know of.

Check car-part.com. I just did and there are a whole bunch of these trucks with composite headlight assemblies in the Orlando area.

car-part.com

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a can't-do attitude to me. I live in a large busy city but I've also lived in a couple towns of less than 3K people. There are parts out there if you want to find them. Or, you can just buy more new Chinese garbage. You can find help here on the forums, or you can find criticism of bad choices..

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I've got the eagle eyes headlights on my truck that gets driven hard every day, even in the rain, and I have not had any issues with condensation in them. They've been on the truck for 2 years now, only thing they need is brighter bulbs. Once l get the front end fixed that's the next project. They weren't that hard to put on but you will need a long shaft Torx T20 to do the adjustment.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
And they were around 65 bucks for the pair, complete ready to install, at an aftermarket crash parts shop.

NO4NSHT

Reaction score
A complete opposite of a can't do attitude.. But i honestly didn't knw about that website for used car parts. My father is the one who told me I'd never find a truck of my year or body style in a junk yard. He's built many of C10's and a couple C1500's i just figured he'd already looked. Can you imagine how him being 70 now reacted to finding out there's a website for used car parts from junk yards all around..

NO4NSHT

Reaction score
I've got the eagle eyes headlights on my truck that gets driven hard every day, even in the rain, and I have not had any issues with condensation in them. They've been on the truck for 2 years now, only thing they need is brighter bulbs. Once l get the front end fixed that's the next project. They weren't that hard to put on but you will need a long shaft Torx T20 to do the adjustment.

I got the headlights finally i used the entire factory bracket both pieces of it and they fit perfectly. I would love to later on get the better and higher quality headlights. But right now i just needed to see better. For my transmission is on its last leg and im stuck out of working cuz of the shut down so of course my luck i was to start back last Monday and the trans is not gonna make my trips to work so im trying to find transmission that will work my truck and i can afford so i can get back to work. I miss my job and doing what i love to do..

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Car-part.com is a great resource. They can probably help with your search for a cheap transmission too. I used them to find a tested working 4L80E to swap into my red truck, it was $500 and right up the road from me.