Need Advice on Flat Towing ‘97 Tahoe Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imkwuzn

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a ‘97 2door Tahoe LT Z71. It’s a fully stock 350 Vortec/auto with a 3 button electronic shift transfer case. I am interested in flat towing it behind my RV. I believe it has a NP243 tcase but haven’t crawled under it to confirm. The three button does NOT have a neutral position for towing. I believe Chevy added that feature in ‘98 or ‘99. Is there any way way to force the tcase in to neutral for towing or would I have to do a complete swap to a 4 button switch with a newer style transfer case and then change input shafts from 27 to 32 splines? I’d prefer to keep the push button vs. manual shift tcase if possible.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

imkwuzn

Reaction score
I have a 98 and have the same problem. Did you find any info on this?

No solution. It either must be swapped which is a royal pita or a driveshaft disconnect could be installed. I elected to do neither and bought a ‘02 Jeep Liberty 4x4 which came from the factory ready to flat tow and I leave the Tahoe at home.