NBS steering components in a 400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
The only real problem with the box is the input shaft, it is a 17mm DD and not a spline like the older ones. The pitman and frame mounting are the same. I plan on using the lower steering shaft and a 1" DD shaft to connect it to the column. This also eliminates the rag joint.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
A little update, I figured out how to make the NBS (Delphi style, 02+) power steering gear work with the OBS column. I used a steering shaft from a WJ Grand Cherokee and enlarged the firewall end of it slightly for a 3/4DD shaft. Then I removed the ISS from my column. I cut about the top 5" from my lower shaft and bolted it to the end of the column and cut a slot in it for the pinch bolt and bolted the works together. Too bad I can't drive the thing to test it out but I don't foresee any problem it was very straightforward.

Mgodgiven

Reaction score
A little update, I figured out how to make the NBS (Delphi style, 02+) power steering gear work with the OBS column. I used a steering shaft from a WJ Grand Cherokee and enlarged the firewall end of it slightly for a 3/4DD shaft. Then I removed the ISS from my column. I cut about the top 5" from my lower shaft and bolted it to the end of the column and cut a slot in it for the pinch bolt and bolted the works together. Too bad I can't drive the thing to test it out but I don't foresee any problem it was very straightforward.
Did it work?

Helomedic1171

Reaction score
I have had that setup working since 2018 with no issues.
Can confirm; I swapped in the GMT800 box, hydroboost, and the steering shaft. Only had to modify the shaft a bit, basically eliminated the rag joint on my truck with the bottom half of the 800 shaft and the top half of the 400 shaft. A Cherokee (WJ) shaft would also work, that's what I had before I swapped in the 800 shaft.