NBS Front Brake Swap for OBS Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I have a '97 K2500 with JD7 brakes. Same brakes as what you have, but with hydroboost instead of a vacuum booster.

They absolutely DO NOT suck. There's nothing wrong with the braking foundation--rotor size, caliper piston size, drum/shoe size, etc.

Fix the brakes you have, instead of "upgrading" to what could be headache-intensive rear discs.

I do give you credit for considering OEM parts from a 2500HD, instead of garbage aftermarket "kits" with poor engineering and pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey parts selection.

In particular, get the ABS bled properly, which requires a scan tool. Flush the old brake fluid. Before you do that, rebuild or replace the calipers and wheel cylinders, and make sure the brake hoses aren't plugged. If the rear brake hose plugs the vehicle still stops straight, and with a reasonably-high pedal...but with excessive force on the pedal. Lots of folks can't tell that the rear brakes don't work.
I like your signature ...

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm surprised no aftermarket companies like lsmf or others just sell the spindle kit conversions. I think they use Cadillac or f body rear disc brakes for obs conversions and wilwoods

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still have a PDF with the write up and photos, for some reason I just got notifications of PM conversations (some were a couple years old) from this site. If you still need em, please send me your email in a PM, thanks

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mods can we make a new thread with this info and pics and sticky it?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have a PDF with the write up and photos, for some reason I just got notifications of PM conversations (some were a couple years old) from this site. If you still need em, please send me your email in a PM, thanks
Why not just post the .pdf in this thread?

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think we lost all the images and file attachments when our host changed, If it's not readable just let me know and I can email you a copy

Attachments

• NBS Front Brake Swap for OBS Trucks ?.doc
    1.7 MB · Views: 52