NBS brake swap on 2WD GMT400 almost complete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Blazer_Maniac: any chance part weights.

each heavy stock part by itself vs the new stock parts.

it would give a better idea if its a 30lb vs 80lb or more savings.

Blazer_maniac

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in posting info, it has been CRAZY since my last update, I've been promoted, relocated and built a new house, so the project got put on the back burner... New pics to follow

Blazer_maniac

Reaction score
Here are some new pics will post up parts list soon

You must be registered for see images attach

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK. after looking at these pics for days now, I have a couple questions. Well, first, some observations. First of all, when you were mocking up the front suspension, it all looked pretty good and alignable. Then, when you put the spring in, you lost all the camber. But the suspension wasnt at the same ride height. Because the upper arm was drooping so much (because there was no weight on the suspension), it brought the top of the tire in. It does that on a stock truck with stock spindles. I dont know if you plan on running this truck at stock height or lowered, but with the suspension at ride height, is it still out of alignment? If so, (and I know youre married to your current set-up, so this is just an academic question), if the lower B/J hole was reamed, and the spindle installed above the arm, would the geometry came back in?

As a side note, I looked up those spacer/adapters and they make one that goes from 5.5x5 to 5x5 in different thicknesses. So you could run the Dodge hub on the GM spindle and keep the stock or aftermarket wheels and not have to change the rear end.

Blazer_maniac

Reaction score
To answer your questions, first let me explain the setup and its requirements. To use the gmt800-900 brake pkg a appropriate knuckle/spindle has to be used, on a 4wd its as simple as tossing in a new knuckle, on a 2wd not so. The balljoint orientation is different than any 800-900 platform, so a balljoint from one of those applications must be retrofitted to the 400 lca. Now the upper arm problem, no 800-900 applications fit either. I thought I had found one but it was way to short, so I used a LD2500 2wd arm. But still it was to short, I thought about cutting it and sleeving it to get the appropriate length, but the balljoint would have been at such an angle, I was afraid it would fracture and get me or somebody killed, especially the way I drive, also I didn't like the idea of a hacked up contol arm. So that got me thinking, if the arm was mounted out further my problems would be solved. I didn't want to have to make drastic changes so after some measuring I determined that moving the brackets out .5 inch and down .25 inch I should have enough to get good camber, after doing said modifications and installing the spring, it was necessary to also modify the spring, so I cut one coil off the bottom. After completing both sides, it looks great, I installed the engine to get some weight on the front and it appears I have 0* camber at full adjustment, and once more weight is added I should have even more adjustment.

Blazer_maniac

Reaction score
Here are the results

Blazer_maniac

Reaction score
On the rearend idea you had, that's not a bad idea, however I'm GM to the core, and I wanted disc brakes so swapping to an 800 was the only solution for me, and besides my next door neighbor owns a salvage yard.

Blazer_maniac

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the truck before and why I had no reservations in cutting it up

Blazer_maniac

Reaction score
More pics