Nasty grinding noise 97 z71 4l60e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was a pain in the butt to put onto I think next time all weld up something for some special snap ring pliers anyway I found the rest of the ring in the tail shaft
Got it all installed I just have to get some more RTV and put the tail shaft on and check my fluid.
I appreciate everybody's help I just hope this is my only problem I'm at that mileage where the transmission could take a **** at any time and the rear end that I put in from the junkyard is starting to leak at the pinion so I've got to keep an eye on that thing 2

You must be registered for see images attach

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
T case must have been empty. I put at least 3 quarts of valvoline synthetic atf in there. And part of a left over jug.
Anyone know exactly how much these hold? I have np243c . Internet info is all over from 2 -4 quarts

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to say mine took 3.5 -4 quarts. I just filled it until it started to trickle out of the fill hole.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to say mine took 3.5 -4 quarts. I just filled it until it started to trickle out of the fill hole.
This isnt good then. There wasnt anything in there then and ive never seen it leak and ive owned and been driving this truck since 2017 @179k and it has 210k now.
Well i briefly drove it around the block last night but had to wrap things up because I need to get to bed to get to work tomorrow well when I get off today I'll check it and drive it and see how it does

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like the snap ring that holds the output shaft in the t-case let go.
Pull the driveshaft and see if you can pull the output shaft out . It shouldn't have much play if the snap ring is still gpod.
Good call!

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's doing good. Then i got a cylinder 5 missfire code. Plug was gapped about .070 so put new ac delco plug in. Good so far. My Gibson headers suck for changing plugs. After work i need to do the rest. Started my day off with a 98 2x4 Silverado with broken wheel stud from discount tire. Those idiots keep us busy!

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really cant believe this snap ring was the cause off sun shell like symptoms.
You guys saved me! I almost pulled the tranny!

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After reading your symptoms, it's the first thing that popped in my head.
Mine did the same thing as for the noises. All because of a ****** cheap snap ring. The good thing, it's fixed.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After reading your symptoms, it's the first thing that popped in my head.
Mine did the same thing as for the noises. All because of a ****** cheap snap ring. The good thing, it's fixed.
Yeah it's good to see a thread with a happy ending at least there's so many posted things on here with unresolved issues or the guy solves it but never post back what it was.
Well at least now I can figure out and deal with my cylinder 5 misfire and all that fun stuff