Mystery electrical thing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Does anyone by chance know what on God's green earth this thing is?? None of my previous 400's have had this. Of course they were all trucks and not Burbs.

It's behind the glovebox and has one connector that looks to screw in like a computer plug, and a cable. Has a lot of heat sink fins by the looks of it.
You must be registered for see images attach

But I don't think I have ever seen this thing before. I'm very confused and any help would be appreciated.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
New one on me... Is there any chance you could pull it out of there and see if anything is written on it?

Any sort of fancy aftermarket radio in there? At any rate, it doesn't look factory to me, even tho it looks like it does belong there. I'd almost dare to say amplifier.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beat me to the post.
New one on me... Is there any chance you could pull it out of there and see if anything is written on it?

Any sort of fancy aftermarket radio in there? At any rate, it doesn't look factory to me, even tho it looks like it does belong there. I'd almost dare to say amplifier.
Beat me to the post. I was thinking after market inverter (?). But and amp sounds logical. Yank it out for a good inspection.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There appear to be some numbers on the white tape around the wiring loom behind the connector. If you can read those, type them into Google. Might give you an idea of what it is without having to remove the whole thing.

Dravec

Reaction score
Well, at least I don't feel so bad for having no clue now. :confused:

Ill see if I can get numbers in the next few days. I already have my bulb changed to LED and it's all back together.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Any chance this was a municipal truck and had lights/sirens?

That connector doesn't look OEM, to me. It reminds me of some old computer connectors I've seen, Though.

Dravec

Reaction score
Any chance this was a municipal truck and had lights/sirens?

That connector doesn't look OEM, to me. It reminds me of some old computer connectors I've seen, Though.

Reasonably sure it wasnt? Was sold at a very high end dealership, and was a civilian owned one owner rig prior to me getting her. And the things you see what I saw, and why I was confused.