My Softopper Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheap Heap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
When I was thinking about purchasing the softopper for my 88’ RCLB I had a really tough time finding any pics of one on a gmt400. These seem to be pretty popular on modern short bed trucks. My truck is used more as a towing, camping rig so I needed something over the bed. A traditional camper top wasn’t in the cards for me due to storage space, cost and how difficult it is to install and uninstall so I ended up going with the Softopper. Fit and finish is great with the product, I’ve been really happy with it. Even on the hwy at 80 mph everything is nice and tight back there. The initial install was pretty easy, only took maybe an hour and would be half of that time if I complete removed it. This is definitely a function over form mod but it’s working out pretty well.

Cheap Heap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Overall, its been great, its a very quality product.

It's water tight, doesn't flap around at highway speeds, easy to install and remove as advertised.

It does draw in exhaust into it. I can tell the contents in the bed smells like exhaust, although I have pipes coming straight out of the back of the truck so I'm sure that's the real cause.

I also need different bed rail caps. The ones that are currently on there have the stake pocket holes, which allow water into the bed.

The other issue is the gap between the tail gate and the bed. But none of these issues really have anything to do with the Softopper itself, just some things to consider if you're thinking about getting one.

Cheap Heap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did see this one on a truck for sale on CL. Thought I'd add it to the thread, it's not common to see these on GMT400's.