My second 89 Shortbox project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Went inexpensive as I don't know what I am doing ...Rust-Oleum and acetone.
No $hit... interesting!!! So just thinning it out and spraying with a gun then. Are you planning on spraying a clear over top?
I can only assume you are using a "budget" gun given the choice of paint.
I still want to paint mine but my buddy is trying to convince me I need big $$$ equipment to do it, not doing a show truck. A 5ft job is good enough for me.
Still going with the W/T grill?

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No $hit... interesting!!! So just thinning it out and spraying with a gun then. Are you planning on spraying a clear over top?
I can only assume you are using a "budget" gun given the choice of paint.
I still want to paint mine but my buddy is trying to convince me I need big $$$ equipment to do it, not doing a show truck. A 5ft job is good enough for me.
Still going with the W/T grill?
Not sure on clear yet. Since I don't know what I am doing I am afraid I will finally finish painting it , go to shoot clear and possibly screw it all up or wrinkle it with a bad chemical reaction etc lol. Yes going with W/T grill with round headlights but bought the grill with the single horizontal bar. I tried the cheap Harbor Freight purple gun sub $20 and had issues more me than the gun.. I think I just got a bad one . So I then bought a sub $ 40 gun off eBay and had much better results. So you don't need high dollar equipment IMO. My battle has been against water in my compressed air. It's ruined 2 panels for me . I still need to fix this issue. A single inline separator isn't fixing it . What I have learned so far is painting is 95% technique and processes and 5% equipment . Watch alot of videos and experiment before shooting paint. I am still learning and have to respray 2 panels due to bugs and water intrusion aaarrrgh. Painting in your garage in Florida (bugs) , humidity ,high heat isn't ideal for sure.

Last edited: