My second 89 Shortbox project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have decided instead of a single stage approach I am going to clear it after all . I got the grill in today . I have some touch ups to do . I am going to lower the front around 2" . I may shoot these rims black to break up all the gray.
You must be registered for see images attach

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought Speedkote clear with medium activator. I experienced no issues,no wrinkling etc. I only did the tailgate today but it went great.

Attachments

• IMG_20221022_210839204.jpg
    IMG_20221022_210839204.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20221022_210947381.jpg
    IMG_20221022_210947381.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 11

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Too plain so I added these 350 SS vinyl decals....a true nightmare trying to put them on ...Im going to keep them on.....

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next time lay down some blue painter's tape to mark level and to mark where you want them. You can redo the tape several times until you get it nice and level and you can make positioning marks on the tape with a sharpie.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going to try this 2 chamber Flowmaster knockoff $38 off Amazox VX2542 .
Muffler - Xlerator VX Performance - Oval Body

Body Height: 4.25
Body Length: 13
Body Material :Aluminized Steel
Body Width: 9.5
Grade Type: Performance
Heat Shield Attached: No
Inlet Inside Diameter: 2.5
Inlet Location: Center
Inlet Quantity: 1
Inlet Type: Pipe
Muffler Configuration: C/O
Muffler Type: Chambered
Outlet Inside Diameter: 2.5
Outlet Location: Right Center
Outlet Quantity: 1
Outlet Type: Pipe
Overall Length: 19
Series: VX Street
Shape: Oval
Sound Level: Aggressive

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A buck cheaper, name brand, stainless instead of aluminized, and less power loss. Probably a little too loud for the street unless your local constabulary are cool.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A buck cheaper, name brand, stainless instead of aluminized, and less power loss. Probably a little too loud for the street unless your local constabulary are cool.
Good to know....if that has the internal diagonal transverse perforated tube inside it would be too loud for me . I bought two of those knockoffs for an old big block Buick I had and my ears used to ring practically after a long drive ...the resonance inside was insane - like you said too loud for the street ....probably great for a drag car though . I like the stanless aspect too.... Tx .

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The description on those "AP" mufflers says "Sound Level: Aggressive", so I thought that was what you were looking for. The Salutes are too loud for me for a long drive with the windows down. I currently have two 1-in/1-out mufflers and I have a third 2-in/2-out that I plan to add behind the axle to tone it down further. The upside to the Salutes is that they do tone the noise down, but with minimal power loss.