My second 89 Shortbox project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This truck is pretty rough - so the driver doors handle was broken ...$11 ebay -fixed it today ...what a nightmare but its done ... my only tip I can offer is loosen the door latch mechanism too, drop it down a little in the door , then drop the longer of the two rods into its hole in the latch mechanism while feeding the latch mechanism back upward in the door back to its original position -3 mounting screws .

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got rid of this farm implement bumper today lol....had my 12 yo son help me ......not done by any means but looks much better ....metal piece off ebay .

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is probably blasphemous on this forum :) ...but I had some 2021 Ford Ranger steelie take offs laying around. This truck had ratty , rusted rims and mismatched plugged tires . So I bought some Chevy 2" 5 x 5 to Ford 6 lug 5.5 adapters on ebay ... they snugly fit the hub centric center . I am pretty happy with the results and have the cost of the adapters and lug nuts in this setup to keep the overall cost down. Note the rear Chevy rims were rusted to the eccentric hub on the drums and would not come off . I had to heat them in the hub area with a torch an voila I heard a pop like the youtube videos showed and they came off . Im pretty happy with the look and was shocked that they do not stick out like I thought they would since they are 2" (the skinniest I could get) almost flush . I think the Ford has 55 mm offest so it worked out great ....They are 255 70 16 off a 21 Ranger 4 x 4 . Before and afters below .

Last edited:

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I couldnt stand how ugly this truck is lol....so even though I am not done with the mechanicals I have been bouncing back and forth doing bodywork and shot two panels in primer tonight. I am not a paint and body guy. Even though I have been in the hotrod hobby for 40 yrs I have never attempted paint and body. This time I decided WTH and gave it a shot.....I have watched about a 100 you tube videos for pointers etc . lol. First time ever using a gun in my life tonight - shooting primer . No drips but I did smash the paint cup into the wet paint on the fender lip doing the wheel well openings .. I bought a dent puller, sanding supplies, DA sander, Harbor freight purple paint gun, Rustoleum , All Metal, Featherfill, etc. Its been a learning experience all the way ....still learning and doing things over when I screw up. My goal is to make it a 5 footer .

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last edited: