My OOBS Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got this 1991 Suburban from my sister in law that i have been wanting for the last 15 years.
She ran it out of oil and the engine locked up. The transmission was rebuilt about 200 miles before that happened. It is rust and dent free. The interior would be great, but the headliner is falling down and cracked dash. Seats and carpet look new.
It will for sure get a 4in lift with new wheels and tires. The big question is what about a engine as i can do anything with it at this point.
I'm a old school carb guy so thinking a 350 slightly built or a 454. Once it's up and running it would be a daily driver for me. Anyway the possibilities are wide open right now so got some thinking and deciding to do.
You must be registered for see images attach

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ls swap with carburetor setup would suite that thing perfectly.
Would be cool i guess if a usable one was to fall into my garage for nearly free.
I think for simplicity and cost ill just go with a carb setup keeping it cheap and easy+ i don't want to deal with computer controlled ignition that involves anything more than the module in a GM HEI as i don't have to learn any programming that way.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would be cool i guess if a usable one was to fall into my garage for nearly free.
I think for simplicity and cost ill just go with a carb setup keeping it cheap and easy+ i don't want to deal with computer controlled ignition that involves anything more than the module in a GM HEI as i don't have to learn any programming that way.
Yea it does get a little pricey. They do make an intake for running carb that comes with a standalone computer to control the coil packs. I believe it’s as simple as a power and a ground. But I understand. My project is gonna be a long long long project due to funds.https://www.gmt400.com/threads/1989-rcsb-resto-build.54967/#post-1193039

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine will not be a fast build either. Another month there will be snow on the ground and then crapy weather till April and i need to do all this outside for the most part and yeah funds. My year end work bonus is sure gonna come in handy this year!!
I don't really want to try to remove the engine that is in it right now so core charges are gonna suck!
Trying to decide if i want a Jegs/Summet long block or a short block and add some aluminum heads. Just a standard engine or quench build engine
Need to find a good low rpm high torque cam, Shorty headers, Edelbrock intake and carb

PS. Just looking at the pics and man that thing sure looks like a pig. I can see the potential after it's driving though then ill worry about cosmetics + Ill have wing vent windows, Man i miss wing vents.

Last edited: